Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Servers Unreachable

7ony
4: Newbie

Our two VSS 1 boxes have been down all week, presuming there was a DSL issue, but today I run some checks and the issue points to Vodafone.

We did a 'Tracert' to address 212.183.133.181 and the packets don't reach the destination (request timed out). So we did just a ping to the same address. No reply (100% packet loss). We did the same thing with the address 212.183.133.182 and this was OK. Pinging it was OK as well. Then we tried destinations between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191. Tracert timed out and we got 100% packet loss on pinging.

As so many people are having problems with BT (as we are with them) we tried the same procedure with an external website based in the UK. Same results.

Anyone else came the same conclusion as me?

Please investigate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After doing a bit of research on this, apparently the 12v 1.5amp power supply provided does not "Cut the Mustard" for these units. When it's a few years old, the power it supplies drops too low. So the light make it look like it's working, but when the unit turns the cell active to connect to the phone, this is when it needs the most power but doesn't get it. So it resets.

Just purchased 2 x 2amp chargers and will report back how I get on.

View solution in original position

29 REPLIES 29

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi folks,

Scuffers - I'm glad to see the tech team managed to get to the bottom of this for you.

7ony - Both of the serial numbers you've given me are on old software. I've requested for them to be updated for you. As it's the weekend, please leave your Sure Signals connected for the next 48 hours to prevent the updates getting interrupted.

Cheers, Ben

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 7ony

2119721129 has now updated with the new software. Can you now unplug this device and leave the other Sure Signal to get updated? 

We don’t recommend having 2 VSS on the same router, we can’t support your setup should the issue continue after the updates have gone through.

Thanks

Sukhi

If your new software disables the ability to run two VSS on the same system, then I suggest you send me out two new boxes F.O.C., because it worked fine before.

I'll be passing on these details to my corporate account manager. Not a happy customer.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 7ony,

I'm afraid the Sure Signal was never designed to work in this way. We'll be unable to send out replacements free as a result.

Your Corporate Account Manager will be able to discuss this further with you if you've already got in touch with them over the weekend. 

Many thanks, Ben

VSS with serial number 21197211572 has still not updated.

The the other one is unplugged.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 7ony,

The Sure Signal with serial number ending 572 connected to our servers today.

Is everything now working for you?

If not, try the device on a different internet connection such as a family member or friend.

This will help us to identify where the issue may lie.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Andy

No, it's still not working.

First light stays solid. Second light starts flashing, then stays solid. Fourth light starts flashing then after awhile, second and fouth lights go out and it starts all over again.

You can't take the VSS to another address, because the postcode would be different and that's not allowed.

These VSS boxes are registered to a company. But I have tried it on another line and getting the same problem.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 7ony,

Thanks for getting back to us.

As you’ve got both Sure Signals on the same internet connection, you’ll need a good connection with enough bandwidth for them both to work.

Looking at the speed tests that you’ve done, your upload speed isn’t good enough to support two Sure Signals.

For both units to work together, you’d need a connection with a minimum of 1Mbps upload speed.

As you’ve currently only got one plugged in this should connect ok, however if more than two people try to make a call at the same time it could cause the connection to drop.

In regards to the postcode, you can try this in a different location without changing the registered address.

James

Our new network has 20mb download and 20mb upload. Pinging at 7ms.

Is a corporate network.

As of this morning, the first one is connect OK, the second isn't.

This has been over 96 hours now.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 7ony,

If you try swapping the Sure Signals over, which of these happens?

- The same Sure Signal box works on the other connection.

- The other Sure Signal box starts working on the same connection.

If both boxes work on the one connection, it suggests the socket or cable used on the second may be faulty. Try swapping these to see what happens.

If the same Sure Signal fails on both connections, it points to the box.

Give the Sure Signal which doesn't work a full reset for me. This should resync the box and pick up any missing updates:

• Unplug the ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • Plug the cable back in
  • Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Dave