Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone personalize system update HTC One M8

sbaker106
4: Newbie
Has anyone else received this system update notification recently?

It doesn't say what is included etc. and I don't really want the have a load of apps on my phone that will never get used. I have a SIM free M8 and don't want it to be plastered with Vodafone logos etc either.

Can anyone tell me what the update is.

Cheers

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@sbaker106We've had confirmation that this update is indeed from Vodafone. The update apparently installs Vodafone's own Vodafone Updates application which is a portal to the various other applications Vodafone offer. It's supposed to allow you to beneift from Vodafone's services you may not currently be using (HINT: Have a look in the Play Store at what Vodafone offer, it's much less hassle than a system update and probably safer).

I personally benefit just fine from Vodafone's services without installing the Vodafone Updates application, I get all the apps I want to use from the Play Store and have never had a need to install another application store on my phone. It's entirely up to as to whether you install it or not. If you dismiss the update it should go away for good though apparently so you'll only have one shot to make the decision.  

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks for the update... I have (just to be on the safe side) just done a factory reset and the update message popped up straight away. Now just to reinstall the apps I had.

I will ignore the system update until we know more.

Nabs

Would be interesting to know if you still get the update message if you remove your SIM, are you able to try that?

N

Ok, I tried with a SIM card from EE.

After rebooting I went into settings and told phone to look for updates. a message came up about a download manager update. Looking on Google I found this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/535492-malware-after-twrp-install.html

I follwed the suggestion about rebooting in safe mode and then checking for updates. The original personalize update messgae appears once again. This must show that it is from Vodafone/HTC.

@sbaker106

I’ll try and get this confirmed and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

sbaker106
Thanks @wayne

Nabs

@sbaker106We've had confirmation that this update is indeed from Vodafone. The update apparently installs Vodafone's own Vodafone Updates application which is a portal to the various other applications Vodafone offer. It's supposed to allow you to beneift from Vodafone's services you may not currently be using (HINT: Have a look in the Play Store at what Vodafone offer, it's much less hassle than a system update and probably safer).

I personally benefit just fine from Vodafone's services without installing the Vodafone Updates application, I get all the apps I want to use from the Play Store and have never had a need to install another application store on my phone. It's entirely up to as to whether you install it or not. If you dismiss the update it should go away for good though apparently so you'll only have one shot to make the decision.  

sbaker106
That's great thanks for the information.

Nabs
No worries @sbaker106 , always happy to help 😉