main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Vodafone wont allow use of personal routers on their Broadband

2: Seeker
Had to cancel my Vodafone Broadband today, after calling customer service to request the PPPoe access details to the broadband network so I could configure and use my own Draytek router (that has a large number of features, not available on the "Vodafone Connect" Router) like VOIP and extended AP connectivity. I was told that the PPPoe details are a secret and a security risk if divulged to the public, (what utter rot). Every ISP I have used over the years BT, Talk Talk etc have had no problems letting their users have this information so they have control over what equipment they use to access the service. I have invested a considerable amount of money in a high spec router that meets all my requirements, that the "Vodafone Connect" router cannot. This was not an unusual request, I'm sure there are many in my position.
View more options
28 REPLIES 28
4: Newbie

I'm in the same boat as you, except when i signed up I specifically asked if you could use your own router and was told that you could! Now I find that you can't and the router is so locked down you can't even reserve IP addresses for devices on your home network that have to have a static IP address. You can't control the IP address range either. This router is only suitable for the most basic of home networks. It's going to cost me a fortune to switch back to BT and the wife is not a happy bunny with me either! 

View more options

@mphasey and @jimborae - You can call 08080 034 515 for help with this.

Take a look at our broadband support pages for further info.

View more options

Thanks Jenny but have you actually read the first post? We already have called tech support on the number you have given. It was them who refused to give us the PPPoE settings and said we cant use our own equipment! 

View more options
10: Established

I was told via the sales team you could use your own router.  but i was doubting the traffic management of the network so did not carry on with the order at the time.  glad i did not carry on now reading your posts i will not be going to vodafone then 

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

What settings are you needing for the Draytek?

Try putting a vlan tag of 101 on the vdsl to see if it helps.

Other than that, it should just be username and password?

View more options

It's the username and password that  Vodafone wont let me have. I have no issues with choosing the the right settings on the router and don't require any support from Vodafone in that regard.

It's rather a ridiculous situation, imagine if google or microsoft didn't allow you to know your username or password for their email or other services and you had to have a special box to log you in!

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

That is all a bit silly if they are not giving usernames and passwords.

Actually that is very silly!

Have you tried CS again, in case the person you got through to was just having a bad day?

View more options

The Customer Service people were very good, and understood exactly what I wanted, I spoke to the Manager there and he understood my frustration, unfortunately it's company policy (it may change at some point, but not in the near future, so I had to cancel).

View more options

I'm facing the same issue.   I was with Sky for a couple of years and was frustrated with the all in one router they provided and their refusal to allow any other 3rd party router.

Vodafone kept insisting to me that not only was their's the best router for an Fibre ISP provider but that we could use a 3rd party router if all failed.   I did try looking for any documentation that might have prevented me from using a 3rd party product but at the time (Dec2015) I could not find anything of note.

Now I'm stuck with a router in which the wireless performance is frankly shocking despite adjusting the wireless ranges etc.   Had the Vodafone sales staff been upfront over any restrictions (or been given the information to pass to new customers) I would never have joinned.  Now I cant wait for the 18months to finish so that I can dump both broadband and personal phones...

Many of us understand the implications of going over to our prefered 3rd party router, therefore allowing the connect router to either operate in "modem only" or giving us the PPPoe details would be a massive win for the broadband team.... 

View more options

@mphasey thak you for getting this issue aired , its stopped me having to go through the pain of switching only to find its not as open as every oterh provider out there. I'll stick with BT for now and come back when things have got a little more open

View more options
1: Seeker

Possibly a bit late on this one, but you can in fact do a "sticky IP" for devices on your network. These can be applied in the router GUI settings (192.168.1.1) and select Advanced/Additional Settings/DHCP Settings.

You just need to assign a local IP address to the MAC address of the device you wish to assign it to.

View more options

Have just seen this thread...am about to switch to VF from Sky to get away from this problem...and cannot believe that I am about to face it again - is it true that you cannot connect a decent router to the VF FPfibre service?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@inizii - Welcome to the eForum.

As mentioned previously, Vodafone don't support the use of an alternative router.

View more options
View more options
Well frankly Charles that is disgusting. The sales guy specifically said that I could use my own router. We even got talking about what router I had and what its performance was like. It was one of the specific points that I specified had to be able to do so, otherwise I would have never signed up.

Called up VF now before it's been turned on and have cancelled it, it's a shame your draconian policies prevent you getting extra customers.
View more options
Highlighted
1: Seeker

Signed up for this service, started today and found I have to use the VF crock of ##~## router as those clowns in tech support won't give out this information. As the poster above noted this is farcical. I'm so glad to be away from BT I am going to grit my teeth and stick with VF, but if anyone knows of a hack, let me know as soon as possible.

View more options

I know the post is a bit old but you could try complaining to OFCOM and then getting help from them to write a letter to VF to get out of your contract quicker and free of charge. I've read somwhere about a guy who did this (it was exactly the same issue as you have, not being able to use 3rd party router) and he was successful.

View more options

Been with Voda mobile (x2) for 7 years and was just about to sign up for their VDSL broadband. Currently with BT who allow use of my Draytek 2860 by providing the connection details. I use many of its features which the Voda router just does not have. 

Given that Voda use BT Openreach I am now very suspicious why they have this t&c. I only found out after an hour on the phone questioning staff with superb interpersonal skills but very little tech knowledge (eg they hadn't a clue what blocking ports meant).

End result: I'm going elsewhere with my money. I only wish I hadn't renewed my Voda mobile contracts a week or two back as I can't work with an organisation with this degree of perceived obstructive temerity. Those contracts will also be lost at the very first opportunity unless someone has a re-think on this attitude.

View more options