Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 6 locked?

Lanky1
3: Seeker
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me if the new iPhone 6's are locked to vodafone? I've been offered a 'sealed' device from an unwanted upgrade.
Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Unless the phone is bought as unlocked directly from Apple, all iPhones in the Uk are locked to a network. If they are supplied directly to a network they are locked out of the box. If they come from a dealer like Carphone Warehouse and bought at full price they will lock to the first network they are used with.

If the phone you're being offered is an unwanted upgrade it will be locked.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

jeffkinn

Unless the phone is bought as unlocked directly from Apple, all iPhones in the Uk are locked to a network. If they are supplied directly to a network they are locked out of the box. If they come from a dealer like Carphone Warehouse and bought at full price they will lock to the first network they are used with.

If the phone you're being offered is an unwanted upgrade it will be locked.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Lanky1
Ok, thanks for your help.

Lanky1
One more thing, if the handset alone is taken to a vodafone store. Can it be unlocked or would some form of paperwork be needed?

jeffkinn

Only the original owner can request an unlock  - in this case the person who's contract received the upgrade. Also there will a charge of £19.99.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Lanky1
Perfect. Thanks Jeff.

SkylineLvr
8: Helper
8: Helper
I don't believe there is a charge for the first time you request an unlock. I've unlocked my iPhone 5 through Vodafone for free. I plan to unlock my 6 plus sometime in the future.
  • Previous phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black Slate
  • Current phone: iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
  • Next phone: Possibly the iPhone 7

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@SkylineLvr wrote:
I don't believe there is a charge for the first time you request an unlock. I've unlocked my iPhone 5 through Vodafone for free. I plan to unlock my 6 plus sometime in the future.

I'm afraid that isn't correct - there is a charge for contract phones less than a year old or PAYG phones.  There is no charge if the contract phone is over a year old.  

PWIAC