Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd party Mesh Network

rdg496
2: Seeker

Hello, I am thinkin of getting Pro II broadband but looking for some advice.
Currently I have an EE router in Modem mode into which I have an Orbi wifi router wired and an Orbi extender down stairs.
Can I still use the Orbi hardware wired into the Vodafone Intellihub and use the Orbi mesh for my Wifi network ?
I have a garden room that is wired to the house into the extender and need to keep that connectivity.

I know the alternative is to get the ultra hub but would rather keep my current Orbi set up as it has more flexibility.

An advice appreciated......thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Are considering getting Pro II, but still being on FTTC?

And if you don't want the Ultra hub, why are you considering Pro II, as that is what it comes with?

rdg496

Apologies Full Fiber 900.......With the Intelihub Not Ultra Hub

Jayach

If you are going onto FTTP, then you can connect your 3rd party router direct to the ONT, you will just need your PPPoE credentials. Get them from Vodafone via live chat. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

You will however loose easy access to the digital phone service, if that is important to you.

rdg496

Many thanks, we dont need to use the landline phone so play and play into the ONT box.
Will the vodafone routers wifi cause any issues ?

Jayach

@rdg496 wrote:
Will the vodafone routers wifi cause any issues ?

Not if you don't turn it on??

You won't be using the Vodafone router at all, from what you say.

rdg496

I can plug the Netgear Orbi RBR50 directly into the ONT box?

forgive my ignorance, I had assumed I needed a modem get internet access….  This is not the case ?

(If that’s the case I can’t recall why I use the we router in modem mode if it’s not needed.)

rdg496

I think the RBR50 does not have an internal modem hence the need for my current set up and need to plug it into one. Question is can I use it with the Vodafone hub?

Jayach

On FTTP, no modem is needed, the ONT (sometimes called a fibre modem) does that job.

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.