Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband WIFI keeps disconnecting

apeshev
3: Seeker

My WiFi keeps disconnecting devices from the network and most frequently my main PC. It frequently happens when a new high impact connection is open such as a video stream.

I had 0 issues while using BT Fibre and their router was perfect. From day 1, the Vodafone router has been playing up. Also, all of the online contact or help channels are currently down for Vodafone. 

What is the quickest way to get this sorted and is it possible to get a new router or even better to get a normal one from a market leading company and not the useless Vodafone ones?

18 REPLIES 18

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@apeshev As VF do not supply an external IP6 it's all a bit of a waste. The two switches on that screen appear to be local (I don't use the THG3000). On the WAN (Internet) control if there is an IP6 setting turn that off too.

If you have any devices where you can also turn off IP6 then that can also be done.

Vodafone's comment is rubbish. The THG3000 router does quite well, depending on the construction of your property. When I had one the WiFi was fine for my situation. Elsewhere on this forum there are users complaining about the Pro, so take what you were told with a pinch of salt, about 10 kilos will be about right 😂

I told them what they are saying is absolute nonsense so I spoke to somebody else. I am now waiting for a replacement router and I would be very much surprised if it behaves differently. If it doesn't it would be goodbye Vodafone.

apeshev

I looked at the router logs when the disconnects happened and I saw this type of Event in the error log: 

apeshev_0-1700081269437.png

I am pretty sure that this happens only when the disconnects occur. It seems to have happened only 2 times today. I can also see the MAC address and name of my machine being dropped then added after this event.

Finally, the log is full of `Deleting STA from monitor (MAC adress X)` followed by `Added new STA to monitor with (MAC adress X)`. The MAC address seems bogus and doesn't correspond to a single device that I own as I can see them all. What is going on ? This is the second router. I am through with this. 

Ripshod

This is actually quite common. You have a device (android or apple typically) that is set to use a private or random MAC address. This is okay for wifi hotspots, but not ideal for a stable and secure wifi setup at home. Check the mac addresses and find those that are connected to the wifi, but can't be seen in the router's gui front page.

The ephemeral MAC address it's trying to connect with is always the same though. It doesn't change it. I thought it might be something that's masking the MAC but I don't even have another device in the house. I think there is no saving grace honestly. I have turned MAC filtering on which reduces the Event log significantly so the odd device is now can't connect (if it even exists). The real question is whether they can arrange a neutral market router to be tested for comparison. I can also see that it keeps degrading the Network connecting to 2.4Ghz even though all bar 1 device support 5Ghz. Thanks for all the help ! However, I am likely to leave Vodafone at this rate. I have been disappointed by both their broadband and their mobile offering. 

Cynric

@apeshev Does the device get given an IP address or is it only showing with a MAC address? I sometimes see a neighbours TV listed but it never gets an IP address. Also just because the MAC address is showing it doesn't mean that it is currently connected, your router may just be showing all that have ever been connected. This is a known problem/feature of some routers.

Cynric

Additional: Just now a visitor arrived and their navigation device has just shown-up on my Windows 10 PC, see image once it has been approved. I looked on my router and on my Pi-Hole and neither are showing this device. The device has not been granted an IP address and neither I can connect to and it cannot connect to my LAN. All that has happened is that it has broadcast its presence as part of the negotiation process to join a LAN. 

Cynric_0-1700128284855.png

V-F

Vodafone's routers are well made and far better than many other providers' kit.

How long have you had the service? Is it FTTP or FTTC?

Do you have any ethernet connected devices? Can you connect ethernet to see if it's stable with your PC or a device that's got a lot of heavy use like a TV? That's just to test if the full signal is dropping (and not the wi-fi).

What speeds do you get and what speeds did they say you would get?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, just incase any of you haven't seen @Janey post on another thread similar to this, I'm just reposting it here: 

'We’ve identified a routing issue impacting a small number of users who use Android apps, and it’s currently being looked into. Sorry for the disruption caused, we're getting it resolved as quickly as we can. If you need more help with this, please speak with our Broadband Tech team on 191 free from a Vodafone mobile or 03333 040 191 from any other phone. They're also available on Live Chat.'.