cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't access 192.168.1.1 to manage router. SSL cert was updated. Now cant access

Howittm
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Earlier today I was asked by vodafone support to access 192.168.1.1 for the router management as there was a problem they were looking at.  I noticed the SSL cert was out of date so updated it.  All seemed OK.  But later on I couldn't access the router via google browser, always just giving me a list of google responses.  So I think there is some issue with the SSL cert.  How can I resolve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Howittm wrote:

Nope not entering a comma

But I clicked on your link and got in as per attached screen shot.  Why "not secure2?

Because the web server in the router is not using HTTPS, it simply isn't written that way, and there is no reason for it to be as you really only need the encryption whilst travelling over the internet. When its just you on your home LAN it isn't really required.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

Jayach

Connection to router is not secured. Therefore you have use http.

Wasn't using https.  Just 192.168.1.1

I can get to router management but have to accept unsafe route.  And for some reason my wife's apple mac air can't access inet.

Jayach

Some browsers now try to use HTTPS as default. What browser were you using?

@Howittm wrote:

And for some reason my wife's apple mac air can't access inet.

Not sure I understand this, do you mean she can't get to the internet at all?

Sorry wasnt clear with my message.  She cab access inet via router but gets a message sating "weak security - WPA2 TKIP is not secure.  Use WPA2 AES"

She did not get the message prior to me installing new SSL cert.  And I still can access the router using 192.168.1.1 in the browser bar.  It just comes up with a list of google entries talking about 192.168.1.1 as its used as a standard.

Hope message is clearer this time?

Jayach

@Howittm wrote:

Sorry wasnt clear with my message.  She cab access inet via router but gets a message sating "weak security - WPA2 TKIP is not secure.  Use WPA2 AES"

She did not get the message prior to me installing new SSL cert. 

I'm not sure about this. My feeling is it is Apple being Apple. The router uses WPA2 so AES should be available, but I'm not an expert on security encryptions..

Where and how did you install the new SSL certificate.

What do you use, Apple, Windows or other?

@Howittm wrote:

And I still can access the router using 192.168.1.1 in the browser bar.  It just comes up with a list of google entries talking about 192.168.1.1 as its used as a standard.

Hope message is clearer this time?

Do you mean "I still can't access the router using 192.168.1.1 "?

If so you are either typing it into the search box instead of the URL or one of the dots is being typed as a comma and it's being interpreted as a search.

Earlier today I was looking at WIndows 10 Internet Management and was able to find where all the Vodafone SSL certificates where.  I cleared out old and out of date certs, leaving just the one I downloaded from the Vodafone router management software (before I suddenly started having problems).  I also noticed a post from yourself to another user suggesting switch off/on the router.  Good thought I said.  Tries that and low and bolder when typing 192.168.1.1 into URL (not via Google search) it allowed me to login to the router software. Job done I thought.  Then I decided later to show my wife what I'd done.  And when I keyed in 192.168.1.1 again, oh no, just a list of google entries again.  Back to square one!?!

Jayach

I still think you must be typing a comma , instead of a full stop .

Try following this link instead http://192.168.1.1/

But I clicked on your link and got in as per attached screen shot.  Why "not secure2?

Howittm_0-1644591383730.png

Jayach

@Howittm wrote:

Because the web server in the router is not using HTTPS, it simply isn't written that way, and there is no reason for it to be as you really only need the encryption whilst travelling over the internet. When its just you on your home LAN it isn't really required.