cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Changes to DLM Profile - Have I accidentally affected it?

fromage
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All,

Just a quick question here, I have recently moved house and moved my existing Vodafone broadband with me and have some questions about the DLM profile and if I have inadvertently caused an issue.

I was told I would most likely only get around 28Mbps & 6Mbps (countryside and far from cab) so was pleased to see my initial sync/current rate set at around 32Mbps and then slowly increase until 35Mbps (both current & max rate) and my upload has been 8Mbps. 

So this new line has been up now for 5 days now and has seemed to be pretty stable though currently due to the stupid location of my master socket I'm frequently having to unplug my router multiple times a day. Will DLM pick this up as a non stable line and start dropping my line to try and get a stable connection?

The reason I ask is that yesterday I had to not only unplug the router a few times but finally got a longer RJ11 cable which i plugged in in the evening which is how its been running since. Today I have noticed my latency has increased to some test locations I use from 5ms to 17ms and when checking my router console my connected speed has dropped a tiny bit to 33.4MBps yet my "maximum speed" is now at around 40MBps.

Have I inadvertently caused an issue by the constant connection drops I'm forcing my router to do, has my new RJ11 cable potentially caused an issue?

7 REPLIES 7

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Unfortunately, VodaFone et al, the cable from the wall socket to the router is likely to be parallel, and not a twisted pair.  More likely to accept interference IMHO.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cable/cat8960001?cableproducttype=telephone&cm_sp=man...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-round-cable-clips-4-5mm-white-pack-of-100/14861

OR BT n5 socket.png

If in doubt please ask.

Thanks for the reply, both the previous RJ11 and new RJ11 cables are both UTP the new one is just 3 meters instead of 1.5 so I'm actually able to not have my router hanging in the way.

Main question was regarding me unplugging my rj11/router 4-5 times a day over the last few days to move it has caused my DLM profile to change and be downgraded ?

It seems like interleaving is on now which is causing the additional latency I'm seeing. Could my previous multiple disconnections per day have caused this ?

Line details below:

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate34047 kbps7704 kbps
Maximum Rate41035 kbps7719 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio6.2 dB6 dB
AttenuationDS1 18.9 dB, DS2 55.6 dB, DS3 85.9 dBUS0 8.7 dB, US1 45.3 dB, US2 65.5 dB
Power11.2 dBm5 dBm
CRC Errors in last 28 minute(s)270
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)1216
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.04860.9865
D (interleaver depth)6671
Delay8 ms0 ms
  Downstream Upstream
Super Frames539352103431
Super Frame Errors270
RS Words1379928946823631
RS Correctable Errors183012464
RS Uncorrectable Errors28500

Anonymous
Not applicable

Provided you don't have to continue unplugging and plugging-in the cable then the DLM shouldn't decrease your speed any further - unless it has to!  Even if the DLM has been affected then it'll creep back up over time, so I wouldn't worry much.

As for the base latency, again I wouldn't worry, it's perfectly acceptable, and is something that is commonly misunderstood.

connmon - Internet Uptime Stats.png

So the above is a graph from "Conmon" which runs on my router.  You should notice the regular massive spikes.  These spikes are caused by stressing the connection at night with a number of speed tests.  When the connection is maxed out that baseline latency increases substantially. 

Its my unloaded latency that has increased 3 fold and I can see its now due to my line now using the interleaved path therefore inducing the additional latency.

I will see if its reset tomorrow early morning when changes to DLM profile are made, if not it turns out I know someone that could reset my profile/trun off interleaving.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having an original latency of 5ms is actually the exception.  So if you look at the graph I posted I have an average of around 10ms measured at the router, so 17ms is really not that bad.

As for knowing someone who can reset the DLM, that has to be done at the cabinet - though there are several ways it can be achieved it's not something that anyone who has the ability should be doing on a whim!

But looking at my line status on my router I can see interleaving is taking place and it even lists the delay to latency, I have always managed around 5-7ms to 8.8.8.8 (google) even on my old Vodafone line.

Also DLM profile resetting can be done remotely now it seems.