cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connect router to Openreach modem or phone socket?

jaybird024
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help.

I live in a new build house and have FTTP with an Openreach modem as pictured below (forgive the dust!). I've previously had BT full fibre broadband and I know the router for this was connected to this Openreach modem.

I've now just taken delivery of the router for my Full fibre 2 broadband. Am I best connecting to the Openreach modem or the phone line? 

I've also previously used "BT Broadband Extender Flex" to allow me to move the router out of this dusty cupboard and into my office. Is this possible/desirable with the Vodafone router? I imagine that the router being in a closed cupboard is not ideal and in my office would give me a better connection, even if I am introducing some copper wiring into the equation.

Thanks for any help, turns out I'm a dinosaur and get confused about technology!

20221105_154530.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Your picture hasn't been moderated yet, but if you are on FTTP (full fibre) you have to use the ONT.

It's strange that a new build has phone sockets. If they are not shown in the previous picture, can we see those?

I'd never heard of BT Broadband Extender Flex, but if it works with BT on FTTP, it should work with Vodafone.

Edit: I've looked up BT Broadband Extender Flex, and it appears to just be powerline adapters. I would never have thought of using them to extend the Ethernet from the ONT to put the router in another room. 😲

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it ☺️

The phone sockets are as plain and basic as they come:

20221105_192527.jpg

Jayach

It could be a while before your pictures are moderated.

I was just wondering, do you use the phone connection on your service, and if so, how you connected it to the BT router?

I've never used a landline in this house, so no idea if they work!

Jayach

That's one problem you won't have then.😉