Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connection Issues & Drop Outs- Main Cause Vodafones Terrible Router

ChrisR215
1: Seeker

I moved to Vodafone from BT, the price has shot up and got a good deal with Vodafone. I had no issues with my connection on BT and was with them for years.

As soon as I swapped I had terrible connection speeds and issues. Turns out BT had been running my line with a fault for over 5 years and didn't bother telling me. Vodafone got open reach to put in a new line and master socket I thought great. (This was an inherited issue and not Vodafones fault)

Brand new line into the property getting around 75mb which I can't complain at, but then the router just randomly started cutting off in the middle of the day. Support did an update and change settings, but now I have the following issues with a brand new line:

Line Cuts- The line cuts a few times a day at random times. Overnight after a bad day of cuts I checked the logged while I was in bed (near to zero use) it cut out 25 times in the night

Work VPN- the connection to my works VPN is inconsistent and drops off without dropping internet connection. Shocking when I have a meeting 

Xbox- Slow and laggy even though its in the next room. Ripped up the floor to run cables to my xbox from the router and once wired just doesn't work, the xbox detects the connection but no internet.

I went on holiday and with a few small devices connected (eg thermostat) I looked in the log and there was zero cuts in the week I was away.

This made me realise the router is the issue  and I can't handle my devices so I installed a 5 year old TP-link AC1200 router.

Zero cuts, works VPN is stable and if I plug my xbox into it instantly works.

The router is awful and cannot handle my basic network

Apple TV 

Smart TV

2 iPhones 

Tablet

Laptop 

Macbook 

Tado Thermostat 

Xbox 

1 Light 

2 Speakers

So I am paying Vodafone for a 4G backup and wifi booster that I cannot use because there router is a joke. 

Is there anyway to send the WIFI booster back and take the 4G backup off my account to make my bill cheaper since I cant use it? Or get compensation because this is awful equipment?

1 REPLY 1

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@ChrisR215 wrote:

I had no issues with my connection on BT and was with them for years.

Turns out BT had been running my line with a fault for over 5 years and didn't bother telling me.

Those comments seem rather contradictory.

@ChrisR215 wrote:

Xbox- Slow and laggy even though its in the next room. Ripped up the floor to run cables to my xbox from the router and once wired just doesn't work, the xbox detects the connection but no internet.

Sounds like you had the same problem as theses folks: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Xbox-Series-X-wired-connection-issue/m-p/271065...

@ChrisR215 wrote:

Is there anyway to send the WIFI booster back and take the 4G backup off my account to make my bill cheaper since I cant use it? Or get compensation because this is awful equipment?

I very much doubt it. The standard support wouldn't be able to do anything, but maybe if you go the complaint route they may be able to offer some compromise.. Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone UK