Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Continued connection problems

csd1121
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I have been experiencing continually worse connection problems over the past couple of days.

Previously, I was having nothing but perfect connection and speeds so I’m a bit disappointed that this is not the case any longer.

I have attempted to get help from the support today and yesterday, but any changes tend to be temporary.

My work video calls have been very spotty today and have actually stopped working, and my Xbox likewise is having problems connecting and isn’t allowing me to sign in.

Please can somebody help?

13 REPLIES 13

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems connecting to our broadband @csd1121, I know how important a stable connection is, especially when you're working from home. To help us get a clearer picture on what could be causing these problems, can you confirm the below 👇

- Do these drop just affect device connected wirelessly, or are wired connections also affected?

- Do this happen at random times, or are they more common at certain times of the day?

- How many devices do you have connected and does this affect the stability of your connection?

Hi there @Mark,

It's been happening both on wireless (work and personal devices) and Ethernet (Xbox Series X) - last night was pretty stable, thankfully.

I use my connection most often during the day, and that's when it's been most a problem, though earlier in the week the evenings were just as bad.

I have 3 devices connected via Ethernet and up to 8 connected wirelessly, mixture of 2.4 and 5GHz. It doesn't seem to matter much how many devices are connected as they tend not to be in use simultaneously.

Monday will be a true test of whether it is now stable again.

Unfortunately it’s a problem again today, not sure what’s going on. My video call is working inbound (I get sound and video from others) but no-one can see or hear me…

Jayach
16: Advanced member

What are your results from a speedtest? Do you have anything running on any devices that could be hogging the upload bandwidth? (for example torrents)

Thanks for the feedback and the questions.

Speed tests are normal, up and down. Approx 72Mbps down and 19Mbps up.

I don’t run any torrents or anything, no - occasionally there may be a video call when there is something streaming in HD or 4K but there should be plenty of capacity, which is normally fine, except for when it breaks down which is often at the moment.

Jayach

With speedtest results like that you must have a pretty perfect VDSL connection, so it is difficult to make any suggestions.

Are you connected over Ethernet when on the work video calls? What software are you using?

Have you tried powering the router off and on again? (clutching at straws here)

Cynric

Not the curse of the Vodafone DNS by any chance?

I’m working on WiFi, and mostly using Teams, although have done a couple of Google Meet sessions with issues (very slow distorted speech from the other participant).

I can in theory run a cable around the room but I’ve not had this kind of issue before the beginning of last week. My Xbox which is cabled did experience issues.

Do I need to try setting up cloudflare DNS or something?

Jayach

I can't think it is DNS related, but it is so easy to change, I see no reason not to try.

Log in to the router, go to Internet - DNS & DDNS - and select Manually, and set it to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 (Cloudflare and Google) then click Apply.

Jayach_0-1642460079472.png

See how it goes.