Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ethernet cable connection not working but Wifi does

Connors07
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

First time posting due an issue I've never had before. So had Vodafone for years and all been a very smooth experience. All of a sudden yesterday the internet stops working on my desktop computer (Ethernet cable connection). Now nothing has changed in the sense of moving either the computer or the router. I checked the obvious is the cable connected, is the cable damaged. Changed cable etc. No luck but I added the Wifi antenna to my PC and all is working. I find that connectivity is normally better via cable. 

Would could be my issue?

The router has white lights for Power, Internet and Wifi. I've tried restarting and resets but no luck. Is this something I need to look at in the options? I can't imagine the router is faulty because Wifi works? 

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.  

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

That's certainly a conundrum @Connors07 

I'm pretty much a plug and play type person who prefers to use Wi-Fi connections over Ethernet due not liking wires in general and all me devices connect great via Wi-Fi.

I also do not use a Pc anymore to be honest.

I use a Mac book Air.

You may find some help in the Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs which also has a dedicated number for the Vodafone Broadband Team.

There are help tutorials etc on YouTube from Vodafone too.

Maybe a more experienced member on Home Broadband maybe along soon to hopefully suggest further possible self help troubleshooting tips.  :Smiling:

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Broker-Man
4: Newbie

You could try and see if it is a "Windows"  problem as there have been some updates recently.

If you are running Windows 10 try the following:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Open Update & Security.
  3. Navigate to Troubleshoot.
  4. Click on the Internet Connection Troubleshooter.
  5. Now, follow further on-screen instructions, and wait for the wizard to finish
  6. Restart your computer