Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre Broadband Modem - Phone Socket?

Vonsworld
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

Vodafone are updating my line to fibre in a couple of weeks. Just a couple of questions please...

Does the Openreach fibre modem ONT have a socket for a digital land line? So you don't need to plug your phone into the router you can use the modem instead?

My existing master socket is downstairs, and is attached to an extension socket upstairs. After the fibre upgrade these will no longer be connected to the phone system.

So if I buy a lead with a BT phone plug on each end and plug the fibre modem into the old master socket, my theory is that the phone socket upstairs will then work?  Do you think this is correct?

Thanks

Robin

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Vonsworld wrote:
Does the Openreach fibre modem ONT have a socket for a digital land line?

No it doesn't, you will need to connect to the telephone socket(s) on the router.

However, as the current BT extension wiring will be redundant, you can remove the pair of incoming wires from the exchange/cabinet and make a connection between the router's telephone socket and any of the BT sockets.

Yes, as you suggest, double ended BT type cable, along with the adapter that Vodafone should supply will work.

The extensions should then work as normal.

It's known as VRI (Voice Re-Injection) so try googling that.

Thanks for your reply.

If possible I'd like to use a TP-Link router that unfortunately doesn't have a digital phone socket, but otherwise does perform better than the standard Vodafone router. 

Is there a device available that allows you to add a phone socket if your router does not have one? Something like a portable wi-fi phone socket? 🙂

Ripshod

We've had great success with Grandstream devices. The most successful were the HT801 and HT812.

The problem you'll have is Vodafone have become more resistant to releasing VoIP details, citing security as an issue. Get your VoIP details before buying anything.

Just a thought, but what if you plug the Vodafone router into the main router using an ethernet cable so that it becomes a slave. Would the phone socket then work on the Vodafone?

Ripshod

Yes, it'll work. It would then be up to you if you're happy with a double NAT setup. Unless you're a hard core gamer  you shouldn't have any problems. WAN setting on the TP-Link would then be dynamic IP 

Jayach

@Vonsworld wrote:

Just a thought, but what if you plug the Vodafone router into the main router using an ethernet cable so that it becomes a slave. Would the phone socket then work on the Vodafone?

If you are asking if you could connect the Vodafone router behind the TP-Link, no it wouldn't work.

The Vodafone router has to be connected direct to the ONT for the VoIP to be configured correctly.

I suspect @Ripshod was referring to using the TP-Link behind the Vodafone.

Jayach

@Vonsworld wrote:
If possible I'd like to use a TP-Link router that unfortunately doesn't have a digital phone socket, but otherwise does perform better than the standard Vodafone router. 

You wouldn't be able to use the phone sockets on a 3rd party router, even if it did have them.

As @Ripshod has said you will need to use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) assuming you can get your VoIP details from Vodafone.

Ripshod

You could also port your number to a VoIP service as your current contract comes to an end (Sipgate have been great to me). With an app you can then have your old landline number on one or more mobile devices.