Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full fibre upgrade, avoid at all costs

dnlytle
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Third day now with no internet. Open reach install happened a few days ago and all fine. Three green lights on ONT box. However red flashing light on Vodafone router ever since and no internet. After phonecalls and web chat with various agents no improvement. Router factory reset, agents checked WAN port used with ONT box, serial number of router given to agent to check if router online, it wasn’t. Still no further forward. Considering now cancelling all mobile and broadband direct debits and trying a new provider. Nobody seems to know how to fix. 

19 REPLIES 19

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@dnlytle Did you try using a browser on a PC. 

Yep, tried safari on iphone and chrome on mbp. Same ‘connection lost’ message on both. I could access the router a couple of days ago, so I’m guessing the Vodafone agent has done something to the settings remotely 

Cynric

@dnlytle I'd be rather surprised if the agent could do anything like that, it sounds a bit like the router could be broken. After all a factory reset is nearly always a success.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the router until Vodafone turned off the old copper line connection

Ripshod

Hmmm, indeed. As the router is not connected there's no way they could have done something to it. This sometimes happens when there's no internet connection detected. Have you tried with both the router's domain (http://vodafone.broadband) and 192.168.1.1?

*EDIT* Is your VDSL connection definitely dead?

just got into router as I’d disabled wifi, yes schoolboy error. Tan diagnostic test and see that ‘data ppp connection failed’. From what I understand that means the router isn’t recognised on Vodafone’s network

Agent phoned back about an hour ago. Allegedly now talking with Openreach. Will call me tomorrow evening to update. That’ll be 5th day with no Internet. 
saga continues

Ripshod

I know it's not much but you should automatically qualify for compensation (credit on your account)

I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Would just like to have access as mobile data in my area isnt great (Vodafone) 

DanBrown1871
1: Seeker

I am late to the party but for anyone who comes here in the future with the same issue - Here was my fix:

I recently moved house, I had an old Fibre to the cabinet broadband service, as I moved I was upgraded to fill fibre, fibre to the premises. I was told by Vodafone to take my old router with me, which I did. OpenReach came and installed their external box to my property, and then came back to fit a new ONT internal box inside the property. What Vodafone did not send me nor tell me, was that I needed an Ethernet cable to plug in to the blue WAN port on my router, directly in to the OpenReach ONT box. The OpenReach engineer advised me to go pick one up from screwfix.

Ethernet cable acquired, plugged in to router, powered on and factory reset and held until all lights went white, then went out, and came back on again. Power is solid white, Wi-Fi is solid white, internet is flashing red, and does so for the next 5 hours. Vodafone take a look through the web app and tell me I need a “Vodafone” Ethernet cable, which is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. And Ethernet cable is an Ethernet cable. They said they will send a new one and it will work. 

What was actually the problem however, if you are reusing an old router like I have, regardless if you factory reset it or not, the router would have been staged and configured as a fibre to the cabinet device AS FACTORY. So I went back on to the chat with Vodafone and asked them to reconfigure my router to make sure it was aware it is now FTTP, and not FTTC. The tech on the chat did this for me, I then factory reset the router and 2 minutes later, my internet started working 🙂 So basically if anyone is reusing an old standard fibre to the cabinet router and upgrading to full fibre, you will need to speak to Vodafone to get them to reconfigure your box to make sure it knows it’s now FTTP for your internet to start working. Amazing comms by Vodafone…. I cannot believe the amount of people that have shared the same issue and gone days/weeks with no internet. Very poorly communicated and handled by Vodafone. 

Hope this fixes your problem everyone