Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast Install - Patch-to-ONT Fibre Relocation

sdormon
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I am in a Gigafast area (Milton Keynes) and am looking to switch over once my current (non-Vodafone) contract ends later this year. My existing FTTP connection is provisioned over the Openreach network and was installed by them in a sub-optimal location. I would like to understand if it would be possible to have alternative arrangements made during the Gigafast installation.

As I am currently in the midst of other home renovation works, I would like to use this opportunity to run an appropriate fibre cable to the required position myself, but leave the termination at the ONT end, along with connection into the exterior patch panel, to the Gigfast installers.

It is preferable to pull the fibre line through myself as I am in a position to do this now (carpets removed and floorboards lifted), but am still under contract with my current provider and cannot switch to Vodafone yet.

Therefore, I would like to know:

• Would the Gigafast installers be willing to terminate an internal fibre line that I have installed, as described?
  • Is there a specific cable type that I should purchase for this run between the patch panel and ONT? I understand that the Calix 801Gv2 ONT is expecting a 9/125 µm singlemode fibre with SC/APC connector - do I need to be aware of anything else?
  • Are there any other conditions, such as exposed cable lengths, that the Gigafast installers would expect to be met?

Many thanks for any advice that might be offered.

7 REPLIES 7

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @sdormon This isn't something we'd be able to offer any advice on. If you contact our dedicated Gigafast team on 03333 041524. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you more advice on the options available to you.

Thanks Mark, however, dialling that number resulted only in a message stating "this number is now closed."

For anybody else with the same question, I was later able to get in touch with the Pre-Installation Team who advised that CityFibre policy is to require all cable installations be performed by themselves for liability reasons. This is disappointing, but understandable.

Hi

AND????

A tube or duct installed by you with a draw-wire in to make life easy for CityFiibre seems sensible.

Minimum Bend Radius is the only caveat.

They merely pull a swab thru and then the their "cable".

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fully understand that this is not what you are asking, but...

If the ONT were to stay in its current position couldn't you just run a suitable ethernet cable from the ONT using your ducting to where-ever you want the router?

@clint_flick wrote:

AND????

I was thinking that I'll just have to lift the floorboards up again for CityFibre when it comes time to install, but...

@Anonymous wrote:

I fully understand that this is not what you are asking, but...

If the ONT were to stay in its current position couldn't you just run a suitable ethernet cable from the ONT using your ducting to where-ever you want the router?

@KeithAlger - A large part of the reason is that I want to use an existing path without cutting into the floor joists, this means running directly alongside 240V electrics. Fine for fibre, but not ideal even with a well shielded ethernet cable.

Also the existing holes in the joists don't have enough clearance for an ethernet connector, but again fine for an unterminated fibre, maybe even just good enough for an SC connector. The current ONT position is just terrible all-round (previous owner's choice, not mine) as per the diagram below.

@clint_flick wrote:

A tube or duct installed by you with a draw-wire in to make life easy for CityFiibre seems sensible.

Minimum Bend Radius is the only caveat.

They merely pull a swab thru and then the their "cable".

@clint_flick - This is a very compelling idea and not one that had crossed my mind! Most of the ducts I've seen are quite large and clearly designed for multiple cables though, do you have any recommendations?

If I must make new joist holes or modify the existing ones (in accordance with regs), then a duct would be an excellent option. I will put in an enquiry direct to CityFibre to see if they have constraints on bend radius and duct diameter.

For context, this is a simplified representation of the current situation with poor ONT (and router) positioning and what I hope to achieve:

Fibre.png

How did it go with the installation? We’re the engineers quite flexible?

I have an old virgin media cable point in a real good position in the centre of the house and would like my new installation to be there too. Any ideas on how to make that possible 

After my previous post I was eventually able to get through to an installation technical advisor who claimed that I could arrange for a pre-visit to discuss installation requirements, however, when placing the order I found this not to be the case... However, I had devised an alternative plan!

On the inside of the wall where the utility duct is shown on the diagram above, there is a disused recessed socket box and wallplate. Presumably this was previously for an old phone line which is no longer in use. I therefore ensured that a suitable sized hole was made and had the installer feed the cable from the patch panel through there. This is then fed into a wallplate which takes a generic SC/APC coupler, as linked below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-1-Sockets-SC-LC-Fiber-Splice-Tray-Fiber-Optic-Wall-Plate-Panel/392207...

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/48491.html

This works well and gives a nice neat solution without having loose wires just stuffed through the wall with a grommet.

While it doesn't place the fibre where I eventually want it, the installer was happy to use a 5m fibre line, most of which is left coiled inside the utility duct/panel for now. Should I choose to relocate that by pinning it along the outside wall, I can do so and bring it into the house at the desired central location. At this point I can use of the same SC/APC couplers to join it to an internal run which I can lay at my convenience.

When buying the couplers I took the opportunity to buy some long lengths of appropriate fibre, so as only to pay the FS shipping price (~£9) once:

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/41922.html