cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast issues with some websites, some streaming and gaming services - but not all! Whose issue?

fourmiles
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have seen a few threads with similar issues to do with some games/apps/devices not working, but nothing with a resolution.

I have some Steam games that won't connect to the internet, even though Steam itself is fine. And Disney+ where the app works and all the menus etc work and you can browse all the catalogue BUT you can't stream a video. And devices like my Roku TV and Nintendo Switches which will all connect FINE to the WiFi but when you do a connection test, say they have no internet connection, even though they do. Likewise, my son's Poco X3 phone - says "WiFi Connected, No Internet Connection" in the settings, but browses the net fine in most apps - but not all!

Latest issue is, when connected via WiFi, I can't browse any site which has http rather than https at the beginning - they never load.

It seems a reboot of the THG3000 router clears most, if not all, of these, but only momentarily before it all comes back and stops working again.

I have factory reset, I am on firmware 19.4.0551-3261104.

Any ideas? It's so hard to troubleshoot where most things are working just fine, but a few things just aren't.

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Your firmware is higher than mine (19.4.0551-3261103) which is interesting, but I doubt it is significant.

The first thing I would try is using different DNS servers, as that will bypass Vodafone's content filters.

I suggest using Cloudflare and Goggle 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.

Not connecting to HTTP sites I would have said was a browser issue, but are you saying it works when hard wired but not on Wi-Fi?

Are you using any 3rd part security software?

I have tried using a range of DNS servers, but this does not make a difference.

No security software in place - in the case of the TV, it is plugged directly into the (factory reset) Vodafone router via CAT5 - it connects fine and gets online, but some apps - like Disney+ - refuse to stream. 

The issue with not being able to view http websites is on any device connected via WiFi to the Vodafone router - phones, laptops etc.

The phones and Nintendo Switches will connect to the WiFi fine, they can even browse the net, but the built in tools that "check connection" always say there is no connection, when clearly there is!

If I factory reset the router, everything works - streaming, websites, connection checks etc, but only for a short while - which suggests to me something in the router Firewall or routing settings gets updated periodically after a hard reset?

I can't force a firmware update/downgrade, at least I don't think I can?

I have seen other threads with people saying similar.

Jayach

No, the firmware check never works in the router, but I thing the firmware is fine.

I have never heard of anyone with problems like that, I doubt we can offer much advice.

Do basic speed test apps give expected readings?

You will need to speak to Vodafone as I don't think there is anything you can do to cure those problems, but it is not going to be an easy call. 

Do keep us informed as to how you get on.

Fourmiles, when you change any DNS server settings on the router manually,  make sure you reboot the router for the settings to kick in otherwise they won't work.

@VFbroadbanduser wrote:

Fourmiles, when you change any DNS server settings on the router manually,  make sure you reboot the router for the settings to kick in otherwise they won't work.

Possibly not true!  Depends on how the VF router is set up (I don't possess a THG3000).  If it's working as a caching DNS server, the router IP is sent via DHCP as the DNS target.  As you are querying the router, the effect is instant even with a reboot of the router or client.  You can check this in the connection settings!

CrimsonLiar,  it doesn't matter what router you use, when you change DNS settings you always need to reboot a router for them to kick in.

Sorry. but @CrimsonLiar is right, you do not need to reboot the router after changing the DNS servers (and I am using the THG3000) however you may need to flush the DNS cache on your device(s).