Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast near constant drops

WLSN
2: Seeker

Hello, so this is going to be a long one. 

I recently had Gigafast internet installed, around 2/3ish months ago. As soon as it became available in my area, I jumped on board with the 900/900 line. 

Everything was amazing for the first month or so (except the installation, they've done what I would class as quite a poor job, the cables are messy and they left rubbish behind after finishing). But the internet itself was great, and I made great use of the speeds. 

It was at this time, 1 month in, that things went downhill. I started to experience full connection drops, with the Ethernet light on my ONT going off, and my router freaking out. I presumed it was a router issue, reset it, and expected it to resolve itself. It didn't. 

For the next week, I experienced completely random, but very frequent, full line drops, which is unbearable. I reset my router multiple times, including full reset to factory settings. I reset my ONT. I changed ALL cables with higher quality CAT 7 shielded, and I moved devices away from any power cables, and made sure everything was plugged into the wall. Was still having drops. The drops themselves seem completely random, and can happen over and over for large periods of time, or I can go a few days without one...

So I got in contact with the Vodafone Gigafast team. I've had engineers come round multiple times, each time with a shrug of the shoulders and a "it should be working". I've had my router replaced, various tests ran, all of my devices disconnected and more. Still no improvement.  

After about a month of this, I pushed and eventually managed to get my ONT replaced. At this point, every diagnostic I can think of has been tried, and ALL of the hardware has been replaced. I thought it would get better, and it did, or so I thought. 

Now, it has started happening again, about a week after having my ONT replaced. I've almost given up with Gigafast completely. What more could be going wrong? Having my internet drop CONSTANTLY is ridiculously stressful, and I'm half tempted to cancel, demand a full refund for the months I've paid for and move back to BT. It might be much slower, but at least it actually FUNCTIONED. 

So my question is, is anyone else having similar problems? Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Any suggestions on how to try and resolve this? I'm willing to try anything at this point, I'm beyond fed up of this. 

Thank you in advance for any help! I'm really hoping I can get this sorted as I will miss the speeds if I have to move elsewhere. 

17 REPLIES 17

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting in touch @WLSN - it's disappointing to hear about these drops and nothing should be holding you back like this.

We'll need to access your account to help get you up and running correctly - please contact our team via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker. 

bobsgigafast
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello @WLSN,

Did you ever get anywhere with this?  I had gigafast (200mbps) installed about a month ago. All was great for the first 3 weeks and then in the past week devices keep struggling to connect and the router keeps resetting itself completely at random times for absolutely no discernible reason. 

There's no doubt the speeds are as promised when it works but slower consistency would be preferable to random availability! 

Hope there's a less laborious fix for this that what your post says you've been through!

TJ

Thanks for getting in touch @bobsgigafast - we'll be happy to run some diagnostics on your line, to help see what's causing these drop outs. 

We'll need to access your account to help get you up and running correctly - please contact our team via Facebook, or get in touch on Twitter. You can find more information on doing this here.

Thanks @TJ - As advised I got in touch via Facebook at 18:30 last night and 24 hours later haven't had a response but I have had the router self-reset about eight more times throughout the day. I found a phone number for someone at vodafone customer service and they ran diagnostics, found multiple faults on the router and are sending a replacement. Fingers crossed. 

Bob

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on replies!!!

I too am experiencing the same issue. however, I know my router is self rebooting and in particular it looks like when I attach my iPhone.

Had the router replaced too, set up the same as my previous one - same issue in that the router is rebooting.

Factory defaulted the router and left it at defaults. Connected my wired devices, all good, connected a Laptop, all good and left it for 2 days. Connected my iHone and it went into orbit!!!!

Cmon Vodafone - get the finger out and get the Router Firmware sorted out

Interesting, thanks for the replies guys! I've been on the phone countless times to Vodafone and it's really starting to get quite tiring. 

For now, I've started an alternate broadband contract on a one month rolling with another provider. I'd rather not have two lines installed, but it looks like I have no choice. 

If you guys are correct, and it is iPhones that are causing it to reboot...then this is beyond disappointing. How the most popular brand of phone in the UK can break a router like this...really is not acceptable. Honestly, this kind of gives me doubt about staying with this service. If a phone can take it offline, and cause so much stress, how delicate is the router firmware? 

I'm going to seek a refund for all of my months to date due to an unfit service, and Vodafone have 1 month to fix their firmware before I cancel. This shouldn't happen. 

Certainly seems to be my findings anyway.

I am really disappointed in the Customer Service ever since I joined Vodafone. The time spent in Q's, the time spent on the phone, the disconnects

Yes, I know these things happen and its what keeps people in a job - but there is too much out there for 2nd line not to have it fixed by now

If the router is resetting/rebooting all the time, and you have an iPhone, have you checked that it's not the phone that is causing the problems. VF say that there have been issues with Apple devices recently. Please see the other post on this forum: Gigafast router 'system self' rebooting.

agentofstan

Same problems here. And having read the forums and been in contact with Gigafast, you can only imagine the woes in this house. We on;y have Apple or Linux. It is an utter nightmare of drop outs. I was told when I spoke with Gigafast last Friday that the problems should be cleared up in the next week or so. A part of me does not believe that.