Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast near constant drops

WLSN
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, so this is going to be a long one. 

I recently had Gigafast internet installed, around 2/3ish months ago. As soon as it became available in my area, I jumped on board with the 900/900 line. 

Everything was amazing for the first month or so (except the installation, they've done what I would class as quite a poor job, the cables are messy and they left rubbish behind after finishing). But the internet itself was great, and I made great use of the speeds. 

It was at this time, 1 month in, that things went downhill. I started to experience full connection drops, with the Ethernet light on my ONT going off, and my router freaking out. I presumed it was a router issue, reset it, and expected it to resolve itself. It didn't. 

For the next week, I experienced completely random, but very frequent, full line drops, which is unbearable. I reset my router multiple times, including full reset to factory settings. I reset my ONT. I changed ALL cables with higher quality CAT 7 shielded, and I moved devices away from any power cables, and made sure everything was plugged into the wall. Was still having drops. The drops themselves seem completely random, and can happen over and over for large periods of time, or I can go a few days without one...

So I got in contact with the Vodafone Gigafast team. I've had engineers come round multiple times, each time with a shrug of the shoulders and a "it should be working". I've had my router replaced, various tests ran, all of my devices disconnected and more. Still no improvement.  

After about a month of this, I pushed and eventually managed to get my ONT replaced. At this point, every diagnostic I can think of has been tried, and ALL of the hardware has been replaced. I thought it would get better, and it did, or so I thought. 

Now, it has started happening again, about a week after having my ONT replaced. I've almost given up with Gigafast completely. What more could be going wrong? Having my internet drop CONSTANTLY is ridiculously stressful, and I'm half tempted to cancel, demand a full refund for the months I've paid for and move back to BT. It might be much slower, but at least it actually FUNCTIONED. 

So my question is, is anyone else having similar problems? Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Any suggestions on how to try and resolve this? I'm willing to try anything at this point, I'm beyond fed up of this. 

Thank you in advance for any help! I'm really hoping I can get this sorted as I will miss the speeds if I have to move elsewhere. 

17 REPLIES 17

I have had the new firmware for over 2 weeks and apart from one reboot which had the reason "upgrade" it has been stable. I think this reboot may have been it getting released to all

Fingers crosses all ok. See attached for my FW version

If Vodafone run a KBD on the circuit and it's passing then in all likelihood it's the router. Test with a different one. I assume Vodafone use an Openreach managed install with an FTTP modem. If so make sure you configure the new router with VLAN Switched off and avoid setting any VCI VPI values.

Yeah, I got a message from them saying  they'd fixed it. On the same firmware version as you and all seems to have been sorted apart from the (very) occasional case of a device being connected to the router but not getting any out to the internet. This is quickly fixed by switching WiFi off then back on again on the device 

Is anyone by any chance still having this issue of devices not receiving internet from the router? It used to happen so rarely, but now nearly every device in the house has started doing it multiple times per day. Is very frustrating to deal with, and wondering if it's just on my end or this is the router starting to play up again. 

Hey @WLSN I don’t know if the cause is the same but just in the past few days we’ve been experiencing the same thing. Very frustrating and I’m so frantically busy working at home right now I can’t afford time to dig into it to sort it out but yet need a stable connection more than ever 

Used to get this with iPhones and Google Nests. Turned the WiFi off and used my own router in the end. Wouldn’t expect much from Vodafone beyond the normal split the channels reset the device etc. 

The new router solution wasn’t an option for me as we need the VOIP phone too. No one could recommend a replacement router that would be compatible, with the necessary steps to configure it. 

Yeah swapping the router isn't really an option for me at the minute either, and it is really starting to get annoying. Not sure what we can do here, but if you guys are experiencing the same, then it is definitely a problem on Vodafones end, not mine, which is good at least I guess. The problem is, it take them so long to release new firmware for their devices, I can't imagine this being fixed any time soon, which is disappointing.