Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast on Openreach FTTP speeds

Bd20
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I've been looking to take out a Gigafast 500 connection which shows as being available via the online checker to my postcode.

When I called up to order, I was told the maximum speed I could be offered was 100, and that faster speeds weren't available.

Other providers can all offer up to 900 and via the Openreach wholesale checker it shows the FTTP line installed to my property is enabled for up to 1000.

Has anyone else experienced this, and why wouldn't Vodafone be able to provide a service greater than 100mb on a line capable of up to 1000?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear there's been a little confusion over the speed available at your address @Bd20. You can check out the average speed available with our availability guide. Simply pop in your postcode, house number and if you'd like to keep your current landline number. We'll check this and let you know what's available. You can then place your order online, or speak to one of our dedicated Sales team who'll be happy to arrange your connection 😊

Thanks Mark.

I've used the online checker and it shows as all fibre services being available (200, 500, 900) etc, but says I have to call to place an order - which I did, and was told that only 100mb is available.

I can order a 900mb service from several other providers (BT, Zen etc), so can't understand why I can't with Vodafone.

Openreach's service checker states that the line is enabled up to 1gb and I can see the physical Openreach CSP/ONT installed at the property.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ben

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have the agents advised why the only speed available is the 100mbps? If not pop us your postcode and we'll be happy to look into this for you. If you pop us your full postcode, we'll be happy to contact our Broadband Sales team for you and see what the issue is.

If you'd prefer to provide your postcode privately, you can pop it in the personal information section of your profile. Only yourself and the moderators will be able to view it there.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@Mark what do you mean by saying that putting a postcode in Personal Information? By default it is not shared according to the settings? Are you saying that moderators are not restricted and can view all of the profile regardless of settings?

Mark,

No information from the agent - when I questioned her and asked why there was a discrepancy she just advised that was all the system stated I could be offered as a maximum.

She also advised that I'd be unable to port my current phone number (from Virgin Media), but thats a separate issue.

I'll call again on Monday and speak to the Gigabit team.

My main reason for asking on here was to find out if it was a common occurance - which I'm assuming its not.

I'm wondering whether she misread the system and it was showing the line as enabled for 1000 and she dropped a 0.

Will let you know the outcome of the call.

Thanks.

OK - some progress.

I've spoken to sales again who have advised that the property does have an Openreach line, capable of 900mb, but the in depth service availability tool shows that Vodafone can only provide up to 100mb.

I was advised that this may be because the property is relatively new (2.5 years old) and Openreach may not have opened up the full availability of packages to providers other than BT yet. Not sure whether this is true as I thought Openreach and BT were now separate entities and Openreach should be offering Vodafone the same access as BT.

Any further advice would be appreciated! Is this something I need to be pushing further with Vodafone or taking up with Openreach?

Thanks.

Jayach

The rules around Openreach providing access to ISPs are apparently different for FTTP to those for FTTC.

Why not just go with someone else?

@Jayach I wanted to use Vodafone as I already have an account with them, plus they're the cheapest - other providers can be in excess of double the cost.

BT are probably the closest cost wise, but don't offer the 500 package, they jump straight from 300 to 900.

Jayach

I hope you are able to get what you want. If you look around the forum you will see many people who were attracted by the low price and have come to regret it.