cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help please, just joined FTTP and want to just use Deco M9 plus and pack away the Vodafone router

loopyjax2022
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So, this community helped me massively when we set up our Deco mesh network so I am hoping you can be just as helpful now.  We were on FTTC with Vodafone, using their router as a modem with the wifi turned off and just using our TP Link Deco M9 plus mesh network ( we have 7 of these). Today we've had FTTP installed, still with Vodafone. From what I had read, we should be able to just run the cable from the new internet box on the wall to our main M9 plus and pack away the Vodafone router.  Except that when I plugged the cable from the new internet box to the M9 plus, it just sat with a red light on it. It doesn't seem to be connecting to the internet. If I plug the cable from the new internet box into the Vodafone router, it connects straight away. So for now, we still have the cable running to the Vodafone one, but with the wifi turned off on the Vodafone one and a cable running from the Vodafone one to  the M9 plus and our mesh network is working fine.  

What do I need to do to get the M9 plus to work without having to rely on the Vodafone router? As it would be great to not have both boxes sat on my sideboard!  I still have my Vodafone user (dsl etc format) and password if that is needed. 

7 REPLIES 7

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

You've removed the vodafone router so you now have to set up a PPPoE session on your main deco. You can get your PPPoE details via the link at the bottom of this post, just a few security questions and you're through to a human. Bear in mind, if your connection is over openreach they may tell you to use a VLAN of 101 - this is nonsense, openreach fttp doesn't use vlan at all. For Cityfibre vlan is 911, for Kingston Communications it's 101. Username should contain 9 numericals, and the password should be 8 characters.

Of course, if you want to keep the landline that's a lot more work & expense.

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

thanks, I've just contacted Vodafone and they've sent a long text to me with those details on.  Yes it's over open reach, which I think all Vodafone ones are done via?  We don't use our house phones so have packed those up today already, even less clutter now :Smiling: Presumably we need to change the settings on the Deco whilst the deco is still connected to the Vodafone one, else I can't actually seem to access the settings part of the app...

Ripshod

ah, the old tp-link app. If you have to then yes, change the settings before removing the vodafone router. 

I appreciate the only way to access the decos locally with the app is by resetting, but you don't want to upset your mesh when doing this.

So I tried to get this done yesterday but failed miserably.  I went into the TP link app, changed it from dynamic to PPPoE and typed in the user name and password that Vodafone gave to me. I then removed the internet cable from the blue port on the back of the Vodafone router and put it into the back of the deco unit. It didn't work, internet disappeared and we just had a red light on deco. I don't know what would be preventing the internet connecting to deco, any ideas?

Cynric

@loopyjax2022 It has been known for VF to not give the correct credentials, e.g. O instead of 0. Does the Deco have anything in its logs?

Ripshod

Have you tried rebooting after changing the setting?