Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to look at network traffic originating from a device

kannaiah
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm trying to see if firewall is blocking some packets, is there a way to look at the network traffic log for a device?

Is there a way to check if some kind of data is being blocked or throttled?

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for information on traffic originating from a device?  Most firewalls work by dropping received packets, so they are sent, just not responded to. Because of this, it's the firewall logs on devices the information passes through and is targetted at that you need to see.

The basic logs on the VF router will tell you when the router firewall is dropping packets that originate externally to your LAN, though most consumer routers won't filter internally routed data.

Even if you've got your ports forwarded, and data is getting through the network to your device, if you've not configured the firewall on your device, then data may get dropped at that point!  In this case, there should be a log on the device telling you what is happening!  Firewalls on end devices are so ubiquitous that we often forget they are there!

Is there more you can do?  Sure, but it starts getting increasingly complex for smaller and smaller rewards!

Thanks for the response.

I have forwarded a port so any data received on that port would not be blocked by firewall? I have looked at the even log on VF but it not very readable.