Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPV6

grahamwharton
4: Newbie

Whats the latest on IPV6 support on the WAN side of vodafone broadband. Seems vodafone are WAY WAY WAY behind the pack on this.

23 REPLIES 23

happybuttired
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I noticed an article in a review online on 23rd October 2019 quoting a Vodafone Spokesperson saying  "We are well into planning and will have fully implemented it by late spring next year".  I've seen nothing official yet though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as someone who had IPv6 enabled on a 3rd party router:

IPv6 network address allocation while often online, is currently "unreliable", but when it's up the routing servers work perfectly.  The problem is at the minute that the system does not appear to distribute any DNS server info!  So if you allocate a known IPv6 DNS server to the devices on your network, then much of the time it is up and running.

The issue is, that it does go down a great deal, and when it comes up, the IPv6 addresses allocated to your devices will have changed at Vodafone's end but not at yours.  The fact that IPv6 is "leaking" onto the system at the minute comes when you have devices from the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google, that will automatically use it if it's there, but then go crazy (notably spamming NTP servers) if suddenly they are cut off, because their IPs have unexpectedly changed at VFs end (meaning that packets for them don't get delivered).

*As this appears to have even crashed my Draytek Vigor 130 on at least one occasion, I suspect - but cannot prove - that it could be the issue with the THG3000 router and some devices!

**In order to regain local stability I've now done everything possible to prevent my local obtaining IPv6 addresses until the system is up and running correctly!

@KeithAlger, I'd be interested in you sharing the IPv6 settings you got working (please PM Me). I spoke on the phone to Vodafone the other day and they told me that I could enable IPv6 although they don't recommend it at this time and couldn't' provide any support for it. 

I can't seem to get an IPv6 address on WAN at all. dnsmasq simply returns "no address range available for DHCPv6 request via br0". I'm also using a 3rd party router and I have tried turning off prefix delegation for my LAN  (disabling IPv6 on my LAN) and manually set IPv6 DNS servers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far as I can tell Vodafone's IPv6 solution is no longer up and running on the live network.  It looked very much as if it were being tested on the live network and in the process causing havok.  

*I had IPv6 set up speculatively so I could use it when it came on-line, not considering the consequences of Vodafone testing it on the live system such that it was on/off/on/off constantly.

Yeah, I tried it today with both DHCPv6 and PPP on my Draytek with no luck.

Just had a new line activated and I can confirm no IPv6 currently. In my case I'm passing the VDSL connection through a DrayTek 130 to a OpenWrt router configured on a VLAN to act as a separate WAN.

Sounds like IPv6 may have been present for some at one point but now doesn't seem to be enabled at all now. I guess waiting for the mass roll out. I'm assuming they'll likely use DHCPv6 for the RA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Vodafone's native IPv6 still pops up once in a blue moon.  The settings are completely irrelevant though as they never seem to be the same twice!

For those of us with 3rd party routers, we can always use a third party system to get IPv6 via tunnel 6in4.  So I currently have Tunnel 6in4 set up on my Asus RT-AC86u using tunnelbroker.net

What's the biggest difference I see?  Routing speeds seem a little more consistent!

*I'm also well aware that anything I set using IPv6 will need to be edited when VF come up with native IPv6!

It does seem that way based on previous posts!

I have IPv6 through AAISP with their L2TP tunnel service, I have a Virgin Media connection (No IPv6 either), alongside this Vodafone business one as well, I used 6in4 for a while but a specific issue with 6in4 with Virgin Media makes the IPv6 speed limited to around 15-20 Mbps, so that's why I ended up using AAISP L2TP.

It might take longer on the business connections as well as unlike dynamic prefixes, I'd like to think on business they would be static i.e. a /56 or something,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not an expert on this, though I'm trying to get my head around it such that I'm not totally baffled.  I'd suspect that business customers will be offered /56 static prefixes and those of us on consumer services will get /56 stable-dynamic prefixes (maybe with a static option).