Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPV6

grahamwharton
4: Newbie

Whats the latest on IPV6 support on the WAN side of vodafone broadband. Seems vodafone are WAY WAY WAY behind the pack on this.

23 REPLIES 23

That would seem like the most likely configuration, that is what BT do, business lines get a /56 static prefix, while consumer gets a prefix delegation but it's not static and can change. Although it's not technically impossible to run things behind a dynamic IPv6 prefix, with combination of DDNS and dynamic firewall rules (as one example), but more effort is needed and your own networking stuff.

I saw that when Vodafone was doing whatever it was doing with IPv6 testing, you seemed to be able to pick up a prefix via DHCPv6, so quite simple. I'd hope when they do roll it out, it will be simply passed through the existing PPPoE tunnel I have now, so I can then configure it on the OpenWrt side and distribute across the LAN accordingly.

We'll have to wait and see. I've been doing IPv6 for years, just mostly not native through the ISP, with tunnels.

I've only really dealt with IPv6 in VPCs on AWS and GCP so I'm not super familiar with the configuration higher up, however from the reading I've done, Prefix Delegation using DHCPv6 seems the most likely configuration.  Vodafone in other countries have been offering a /56. 

Vodafone UK seem to offer the same services for business and consumers so it may be that once it becomes generally available, it's on for anyone. I'm on a consumer contract, however I asked them for a static IPv4 address and they assigned me one, hopefully it's the same once IPv6 is available. I'm using a 3rd party router and log in via PPPoE so I too hope we can just use the same details.

Typically with anything PPP based, it is often DHCPv6, being one of the most common methods to obtain prefix delegation, through ICMPv6 and router advertisements as it is widely supported in a lot of kit. In fact I'm pretty sure the THG3000 is doing the same, as a few logs posted on these very forums reveal it.

Right now there is absolutely zero IPv6 anything on the PPPoE tunnel though, so we'll have to wait and see. I've left a DHCPv6 client pointed to my PPPoE tunnel. With OpenWrt you can configure alias network interfaces, so in addition to the pppoe-wan interface configured for the PPPoE connection, I have an alias interface configured as DHCPv6 client, so if IPv6 suddenly does get enabled, it will be picked up as it will be periodically sending out RS requests.

Here's what happens when attempting an RS (router solicitation), the kernel responds with this:

Mon Sep 21 14:03:54 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:03:57 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:03:57 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:01 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:01 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:05 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:11 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)

So literally nothing IPv6 present right now, as the RS and ICMPv6 packets aren't even going anywhere. You can see a similar error from users logs in this forum as the Vodafone supplied router/modem is running a customised build of OpenWrt itself and it appears that they do have DHCPv6 running.

Thanks for the information. Mine looks like this:

Sep 21 11:43:11 UDMRouter daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[3911]: RTR-SOLICIT(br0) 
Sep 21 11:43:12 UDMRouter daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[3911]: no address range available for DHCPv6 request via br0

Yes, a similar error, no valid response on the router solicitation request, so it will just error out. In your case dnsmasq wants to allocate an IPv6 prefix to your br-lan interface, but nothing is there to allocate, but of course, we know this is because upstream no prefix delegation is coming from the WAN side right now. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Vodafone do. I did consider booting up the THG3000 and poking it a bit to see if it reveals any of the IPv6 configuration in the firmware, as I have my own modem to passthrough the VDSL connection. Might do that one day as a bit of a project.

hiya,

a year is gone and no IPv6 on Vodafone ... not even updates.

I want some money back because Vodafone promised full internet access but without IPv6 it is not complete!!!

According to their spokesperson quoted by ISPReview recently:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/update-on-ipv6-plans-for-virgin-media-talktalk-plusnet...

Targeting 2022 now, but obviously no specific rollout date mentioned.

It seems the plan Vodafone told ISP Review about, to introduce ipv6 in 2022, has been delayed.  I think we can deduce it's not a priority for Vodafone.

It's not a priority for me either really.  Perhaps I'm just looking to keep up with the latest technology. 

How do you deal with Netflix blackholing you (as they also do with VPNs) if you use Tunnelbroker?

The easiest solution, is to prevent Netflix from using IPv6 when using Hurricane Electric and use IPv4, which will be from your ISP.

You can do this a few ways but it involves a bit of networking knowledge. The method that is often used is through DNS, when a netflix domain is queried you need to remove any IPv6 AAAA response to trick the client into thinking there is only IPv4 connectivity available, when in fact that's not true. For other IPv6 domains you can return AAAA responses as normal.

Another way is null routing Netflix IPv6 prefixes but this is messy and you can also end up null routing CDNs like AWS which may impact other services.

You will however get zero support from Netflix on the matter, as they even updated their help article on specifically stating IPv6 tunnels are considered proxies, in the same category as VPN usage.