main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Broadband connection

IPV6

grahamwharton
4: Newbie

Whats the latest on IPV6 support on the WAN side of vodafone broadband. Seems vodafone are WAY WAY WAY behind the pack on this.

View more options
20 REPLIES 20
happybuttired
3: Seeker

I noticed an article in a review online on 23rd October 2019 quoting a Vodafone Spokesperson saying  "We are well into planning and will have fully implemented it by late spring next year".  I've seen nothing official yet though.

View more options
KeithAlger
16: Advanced member

Just as someone who had IPv6 enabled on a 3rd party router:

IPv6 network address allocation while often online, is currently "unreliable", but when it's up the routing servers work perfectly.  The problem is at the minute that the system does not appear to distribute any DNS server info!  So if you allocate a known IPv6 DNS server to the devices on your network, then much of the time it is up and running.

The issue is, that it does go down a great deal, and when it comes up, the IPv6 addresses allocated to your devices will have changed at Vodafone's end but not at yours.  The fact that IPv6 is "leaking" onto the system at the minute comes when you have devices from the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google, that will automatically use it if it's there, but then go crazy (notably spamming NTP servers) if suddenly they are cut off, because their IPs have unexpectedly changed at VFs end (meaning that packets for them don't get delivered).

*As this appears to have even crashed my Draytek Vigor 130 on at least one occasion, I suspect - but cannot prove - that it could be the issue with the THG3000 router and some devices!

**In order to regain local stability I've now done everything possible to prevent my local obtaining IPv6 addresses until the system is up and running correctly!

View more options
luc122c

@KeithAlger, I'd be interested in you sharing the IPv6 settings you got working (please PM Me). I spoke on the phone to Vodafone the other day and they told me that I could enable IPv6 although they don't recommend it at this time and couldn't' provide any support for it. 

I can't seem to get an IPv6 address on WAN at all. dnsmasq simply returns "no address range available for DHCPv6 request via br0". I'm also using a 3rd party router and I have tried turning off prefix delegation for my LAN  (disabling IPv6 on my LAN) and manually set IPv6 DNS servers.

View more options
KeithAlger

So far as I can tell Vodafone's IPv6 solution is no longer up and running on the live network.  It looked very much as if it were being tested on the live network and in the process causing havok.  

*I had IPv6 set up speculatively so I could use it when it came on-line, not considering the consequences of Vodafone testing it on the live system such that it was on/off/on/off constantly.

View more options
grahamwharton

Yeah, I tried it today with both DHCPv6 and PPP on my Draytek with no luck.

View more options
jamesmacwhite

Just had a new line activated and I can confirm no IPv6 currently. In my case I'm passing the VDSL connection through a DrayTek 130 to a OpenWrt router configured on a VLAN to act as a separate WAN.

Sounds like IPv6 may have been present for some at one point but now doesn't seem to be enabled at all now. I guess waiting for the mass roll out. I'm assuming they'll likely use DHCPv6 for the RA.

View more options
KeithAlger

Vodafone's native IPv6 still pops up once in a blue moon.  The settings are completely irrelevant though as they never seem to be the same twice!

For those of us with 3rd party routers, we can always use a third party system to get IPv6 via tunnel 6in4.  So I currently have Tunnel 6in4 set up on my Asus RT-AC86u using tunnelbroker.net

What's the biggest difference I see?  Routing speeds seem a little more consistent!

*I'm also well aware that anything I set using IPv6 will need to be edited when VF come up with native IPv6!

View more options
jamesmacwhite

It does seem that way based on previous posts!

I have IPv6 through AAISP with their L2TP tunnel service, I have a Virgin Media connection (No IPv6 either), alongside this Vodafone business one as well, I used 6in4 for a while but a specific issue with 6in4 with Virgin Media makes the IPv6 speed limited to around 15-20 Mbps, so that's why I ended up using AAISP L2TP.

It might take longer on the business connections as well as unlike dynamic prefixes, I'd like to think on business they would be static i.e. a /56 or something,

View more options
KeithAlger

I'm not an expert on this, though I'm trying to get my head around it such that I'm not totally baffled.  I'd suspect that business customers will be offered /56 static prefixes and those of us on consumer services will get /56 stable-dynamic prefixes (maybe with a static option).

View more options
jamesmacwhite

That would seem like the most likely configuration, that is what BT do, business lines get a /56 static prefix, while consumer gets a prefix delegation but it's not static and can change. Although it's not technically impossible to run things behind a dynamic IPv6 prefix, with combination of DDNS and dynamic firewall rules (as one example), but more effort is needed and your own networking stuff.

I saw that when Vodafone was doing whatever it was doing with IPv6 testing, you seemed to be able to pick up a prefix via DHCPv6, so quite simple. I'd hope when they do roll it out, it will be simply passed through the existing PPPoE tunnel I have now, so I can then configure it on the OpenWrt side and distribute across the LAN accordingly.

We'll have to wait and see. I've been doing IPv6 for years, just mostly not native through the ISP, with tunnels.

View more options
luc122c

I've only really dealt with IPv6 in VPCs on AWS and GCP so I'm not super familiar with the configuration higher up, however from the reading I've done, Prefix Delegation using DHCPv6 seems the most likely configuration.  Vodafone in other countries have been offering a /56. 

Vodafone UK seem to offer the same services for business and consumers so it may be that once it becomes generally available, it's on for anyone. I'm on a consumer contract, however I asked them for a static IPv4 address and they assigned me one, hopefully it's the same once IPv6 is available. I'm using a 3rd party router and log in via PPPoE so I too hope we can just use the same details.

View more options
jamesmacwhite

Typically with anything PPP based, it is often DHCPv6, being one of the most common methods to obtain prefix delegation, through ICMPv6 and router advertisements as it is widely supported in a lot of kit. In fact I'm pretty sure the THG3000 is doing the same, as a few logs posted on these very forums reveal it.

Right now there is absolutely zero IPv6 anything on the PPPoE tunnel though, so we'll have to wait and see. I've left a DHCPv6 client pointed to my PPPoE tunnel. With OpenWrt you can configure alias network interfaces, so in addition to the pppoe-wan interface configured for the PPPoE connection, I have an alias interface configured as DHCPv6 client, so if IPv6 suddenly does get enabled, it will be picked up as it will be periodically sending out RS requests.

Here's what happens when attempting an RS (router solicitation), the kernel responds with this:

Mon Sep 21 14:03:54 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:03:57 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:03:57 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:01 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:01 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:05 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send RS (Permission denied)
Mon Sep 21 14:04:11 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[17580]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)

So literally nothing IPv6 present right now, as the RS and ICMPv6 packets aren't even going anywhere. You can see a similar error from users logs in this forum as the Vodafone supplied router/modem is running a customised build of OpenWrt itself and it appears that they do have DHCPv6 running.

View more options
luc122c

Thanks for the information. Mine looks like this:

Sep 21 11:43:11 UDMRouter daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[3911]: RTR-SOLICIT(br0) 
Sep 21 11:43:12 UDMRouter daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[3911]: no address range available for DHCPv6 request via br0
View more options
jamesmacwhite

Yes, a similar error, no valid response on the router solicitation request, so it will just error out. In your case dnsmasq wants to allocate an IPv6 prefix to your br-lan interface, but nothing is there to allocate, but of course, we know this is because upstream no prefix delegation is coming from the WAN side right now. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Vodafone do. I did consider booting up the THG3000 and poking it a bit to see if it reveals any of the IPv6 configuration in the firmware, as I have my own modem to passthrough the VDSL connection. Might do that one day as a bit of a project.

View more options
etrigan
2: Seeker

How do you deal with Netflix blackholing you (as they also do with VPNs) if you use Tunnelbroker?

View more options
jamesmacwhite

The easiest solution, is to prevent Netflix from using IPv6 when using Hurricane Electric and use IPv4, which will be from your ISP.

You can do this a few ways but it involves a bit of networking knowledge. The method that is often used is through DNS, when a netflix domain is queried you need to remove any IPv6 AAAA response to trick the client into thinking there is only IPv4 connectivity available, when in fact that's not true. For other IPv6 domains you can return AAAA responses as normal.

Another way is null routing Netflix IPv6 prefixes but this is messy and you can also end up null routing CDNs like AWS which may impact other services.

You will however get zero support from Netflix on the matter, as they even updated their help article on specifically stating IPv6 tunnels are considered proxies, in the same category as VPN usage.

View more options
etrigan

Yup. I was hoping that there was a simpler way these days. I've been trying to avoid doing all of this but it may be inevitable. 

View more options
grahamwharton

Probably easier to move to sky or other broadband provider that does ipv6. I don't see voda doing it any time soon. I'll be moving away on my next contract date.

View more options
etrigan

It's not an essential for me in any way. Pure playing-about geek value for me.

View more options