Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPv6 for ASUS router

macgalileo
4: Newbie

I post this year as , as usual , there is no way to get any support from Vodafone ( except level 3 ) 

I use ASUS and not the useless Vodafone. Ultra hub on 

An openreach 900mb  line 

my line is active with IPv6 , and although I can get IPv6 addresses using native way in settings I get some regular random disconnections when several devices  try to connect . This isn’t happening when I am only connected with IPv4. I have used   several settings I found on internet but I am wondering if someone is in openreach with active IPv6 on an ASUs with a 100% stable connection with no errors on logs 

Vodafone wife experts say to me that either Vodafone doesn’t provide IPv6 while I can see IPv6 addresses or they don’t provide settings for IPv6 as they support only their router which again is wrong as they provide settings for ipv4 

Thanks in advance 

many thanks 

18 REPLIES 18

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I know what the problem is. The WAN IPv6 is not on the PPP interface - it's on br0 (that's the reason I use the server for IPv6). There are solutions on

https://www.snbforums.com/

in the Asus subforums but you'll have to search or ask for it. I'll not be home until 5:30ish

Thanks in my settings it’s on PPP . I will check also the link and she if there anything else there that I can try 

Ripshod

I've never used the Asus DDNS because no-ip just works. Set up a temporary no-ip and use that for a few hours, see if it's a problem with the ISP or Asus. (for IPv6 you need to set up an AAAA dns)

Ripshod

Yes the setting is PPP, but Asus in their wiseness send it to br0. PPP will never return the IP. 

Thanks. So I guess there is a setting we can change to make it work properly? 

Ripshod

It's more a hack. I'm not sure if it could be done without Merlin's firmware. Have a dig around that forum.

The alternative I use is a home server with a cron job to update the ddns. A Linux NAS or even a Raspberry Pi could also do the job. Even a Windows PC if it's constantly on. 

within DDNS I have now  IPv6 Update No instead of yes and didn’t get the error. I guess this will not have any real impact as I can still find my VPN server via ipv4 . Correct ?!

many thanks , unfortunately this solution isnt possible using the native ASUS firmware. although I see the error message I dont get the disconnections and restarts at the moment as another reason was requests from my security system  (another big pain there with Eufy security app). I will monitor the situation as I have Ultra hub in a passive mode (as a wifi router endnote as modem ) rubbish device but good enough for wifi 6 , but not 6e with iPhone