Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Loading web pages hangs - Have to toggle Wifi (or wait) to get connection back

doby
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've switched to Vodafone a week ago but have been experiencing poor Wifi performance on my PC.

My PC will sometimes hang when loading web pages, often complaining about DNS. If I toggle the Wifi connection it fixes the issue but this is annoying to have to do several times a day.

The lights on the router all stay on during this so it's not related to the Wifi or internet connection going down.

Both router and PC are in the same room so it shouldn't be related to poor signal. I've just come from using a Sky hub where I had no issues so I'm pretty certain this is a Vodafone hub problem.

Come to think of it, I had the exact same experience when I was last with Vodafone (same hub model) and remedied it with a LAN cable but the room has been rearranged since and it would be a faff to trace a new cable. 

Strangely I've not noticed these issue on other devices, only my PC, it's as if my PC and the Vodafone hub specifically get tongue tied when using Wifi which causes a temporary black out.  

Anyone know of any remedies or why this might happen?

3 REPLIES 3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Re the DNS complaints. Can you login to the router and change the dns servers? Try 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) and 8.8.8.8 (Google). See how that goes. 

I'll give it a go and see if it makes a difference, thanks.

I'm not certain it will help however as I'm not convinced that's actually the problem, that's just the generic error Chrome throws up when it can't resolve a webpage after a timeout. 

From my understanding it's localised to this PC yet the Sky hub never had a problem. Browsing on any other device is seamless. 

Cynric

@doby Assuming it's the Chrome browser, and not Chrome OS, go to the Chrome settings and delete the cache and cookies.