Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

htyaH

Supposedly you can request an engineer if you call the Wifi Xperts team, is anyone able to do so? Maybe having an engineer notified would help since they'd probably be from City Fibre or BT

@htyaH wrote:

Supposedly you can request an engineer if you call the Wifi Xperts team, is anyone able to do so? Maybe having an engineer notified would help since they'd probably be from City Fibre or BT

They raised a ticket with CityFibre. I'm not sure what good that would do as it does appear to be an issue beyond CityFibre and Openreach! So it should have been raised internally with their network team. Still no reply for them yet, but they quoted a 72 hour response time. 

Hello all 👋

I just wanted to pop a message on to let you know that I'm reading all your posts and taking it on board - I really appreciate you letting us know. 

I've flagged this up and we're doing some further digging our side, to see what information we can find out and if there's anything we can do - I'll let you know when I have some more news. 

@Amanda wrote:

Hello all 👋

I just wanted to pop a message on to let you know that we're reading all your posts and taking it on board - we really appreciate you letting us know. 
I've flagged this up and we're doing some further digging our side, to see what information we can find out and if there's anything we can do - I'll let you know when I have some more news. 

Thanks @Amanda  - it's reassuring to know that our comments have been read and will be acted upon. 

Please keep us posted and let us know what's going on. 

htyaH

@Amanda wrote:

Hello all 👋

I just wanted to pop a message on to let you know that we're reading all your posts and taking it on board - we really appreciate you letting us know. 

That's brilliant, thank you so much. 

htyaH

One thing I'll also add that I've noticed is my IP location is also completely inaccurate (not that ip locations are super-precise in the first place), but now whenever I look something up, for instance if I want to find a store "near me" in Google, it brings up a completely different place. And I know this was working until recently...maybe others can test it?

@htyaH wrote:

One thing I'll also add that I've noticed is my IP location is also completely inaccurate (not that ip locations are super-precise in the first place), but now whenever I look something up, for instance if I want to find a store "near me" in Google, it brings up a completely different place. And I know this was working until recently...maybe others can test it?

I've noticed that too, I've been all over the country - Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and south west England to the east Anglia! 

But I prefer that as I don't like having my IP location tracked in various databases. When I was on virgin media, I had a very sticky IP address and the various IP address locators were scarily accurate and far too close to my home address for comfort! Hence why I'm happy for the IP address to change all the time to protect my privacy a little more.

I do get that others do like the ability to see things near them - I thought that's what GPS was for, where it would see where your current location was and to give you recommendations based upon that? 

If anyone wants to check their IP location on the various databases, try https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

htyaH

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

@htyaH wrote:

I've noticed that too, I've been all over the country - Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and south west England to the east Anglia! 

But I prefer that as I don't like having my IP location tracked in various databases. When I was on virgin media, I had a very sticky IP address and the various IP address locators were scarily accurate and far too close to my home address for comfort! Hence why I'm happy for the IP address to change all the time to protect my privacy a little more.

I do get that others do like the ability to see things near them - I thought that's what GPS was for, where it would see where your current location was and to give you recommendations based upon that? 

If anyone wants to check their IP location on the various databases, try https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

I don't mind personally even if it stays like that, just thought it might provide a clue behind the recent latency changes. Could just be a coincidence but feels related. Anything that will help the VF Staff or whoever's responsible track down the issue I suppose 

I was getting random locations even before the latency/gateway issues started, but I'm sure most of them were around south Wales/south west England at the time to be fair. Now it's almost always IP addresses up north!

htyaH

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

I was getting random locations even before the latency/gateway issues started, but I'm sure most of them were around south Wales/south west England at the time to be fair. Now it's almost always IP addresses up north!

Hmm in that case I'm not sure, I think I'm the same as you my IP location started changing before I felt the latency changes...it might have been the start of the problem which got compounded later on with whatever upgrade they're doing. No way to really figure it out, we're just gonna have to wait.