Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

htyaH

My internet has just gone out, could this be Vodafone putting me back on the old BGN?…

Gerry_Atric

Let's hope so. Haven't noticed any disconnections since last night so far. I have my fingers crossed for you! 

Regards the BQMs its a shame you don't have the facility to originate BQMs and set your own target.  Using the Think Broadband BQM you are always at the mercy of there not being problems at their end as originators!

With a local BQM, it'd be easy to use the VF DNS servers as the target, but it's probably better to use an outside (but close by) DNS - hence local BQM here targets a cloudflare DNS (*it is a light and infrequent test, just to be polite!).

latency.png

Peaks are an array of nightly speedtests used to calibrate QoS, and the dropouts are annoying powercuts we've been experiencing.

htyaH

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

Let's hope so. Haven't noticed any disconnections since last night so far. I have my fingers crossed for you! 

Still down, using the backup dongle atm. I'm hoping this isn't just more bad luck and something's messed up with my line...the broadband test and the VF chat support says it's not a city-wide outage.

htyaH

@Ripshod @CrimsonLiar any of you experiencing an outage?

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

No outage not even a slowdown. we've had simultaneous Watchdogs Legion streaming through Stadia and Stranger things in 4K, but we are only on VDSL!

Ripshod

No outage here. Had another reconnect just after 1am, confirmed by my router logs.

May just be a coincidence but Morrisons were digging up the troad outside my flat yesterday at times that coincided with the 'active' periods on my BQM. 

ab236abbf1125e6ac358294c39c15e3341f90b97-07-07-2022

Gerry_Atric

Saw the same blip at 1am too

Gerry_Atric_0-1657180816925.png

htyaH

Got a response about my shutdown in broadband. Apparently major damage to the fibre cables in my City and they're fixing it today...so should be back by 5-7ish, hopefully this puts me back on good latency at the same time 😭

Gerry_Atric

I do hope you end up on the correct BNG but I have a bad feeling that the wrong BNG is keeping your seat warm 😞