cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Broadband connection - Line problems? DLM reset?

Hairymaclary
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm struggling to get help with this, I have been a Vodafone broadband customer since around June and have never had a decent connection to the cabinet and appears to be 'stuck' at 34999kbps. The line quality stats for the downstream doesn't look very healthy. The SNR is raised above the target of 6(?) I assume to attempt to remain stable be to my knowledge we have never had much of an issue with stability. Interleaving depth looks high and delay has been increased to 16 ms. I'm not sure if the line has ever stabilised after I joined Vodafone and it just needs a DLM reset or if there is a fault with the line but it certainly looks like I have been banded.

Hairymaclary_0-1605890652586.png

I have been on chat 4 times now but that hasn't been much help, one got me to change the DNS servers the others are interested in my internal setup or just not interested because I'm getting my minimum 35Mbps so they don't want to do anything about. Internally I have no extension sockets and the router is plugged into the test socket with a filter.

I appreciate I am getting the minimum speed but providing the bare minimum I don't think constitutes good service and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the very poor customer service from Vodafone, I tried to call them but after 3hrs on hold I gave up. I'm not far from the cabinet and there looks to be scope for improvement I had around 45-50Mbps with BT so would expect the same with Vodafone.

Can anyone advise on my next steps, Facebook support is as bad as the chat and just stopped talking to me because they have met their minimum requirements. I just want to speak to someone who can actually understand the problem and help.

13 REPLIES 13

gipjon
16: Advanced member

which router are you using 

Jayach

Are you on Superfast 1 or 2? It does sound like your line has been capped. Can you post your sync speeds like this:

Line Quality
Downstream Upstream
Current Rate 79999 kbps 20000 kbps
Maximum Rate 80970 kbps 29564 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 5.9 dB 11.9 dB
Attenuation DS1 9.0 dB, DS2 21.9 dB, DS3 34.1 dB US0 2.1 dB, US1 15.1 dB, US2 24.5 dB
Power 12.8 dBm 4.4 dBm
CRC Errors in last 15802 minute(s) 2 15723
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 0 0
R (number of bytes in RS code word) 10 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0.0939 0.3819
D (interleaver depth) 8 1
Delay 0 ms 0 ms

Hi,

I'm using the Vox 3.0 router and I'm on the Superfast 2 plan.

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate34999 kbps12974 kbps
Maximum Rate51820 kbps12885 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio8.6 dB6 dB
AttenuationDS1 14.7 dB, DS2 36.6 dB, DS3 56.6 dBUS0 1.2 dB, US1 28.6 dB, US2 44.3 dB
Power6.9 dBm6.8 dBm
CRC Errors in last 1414 minute(s)432
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)1616
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.04360.5862
D (interleaver depth)14851
Delay16 ms0 ms

Hi

I cannot view the picture, so if this is a duplication, sorry.......

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The DownStream Threshold Handback value is hopefully helpful.

CabinetTest.png

I can’t see the image you have posted either, the handback threshold is 34.5 clean and 30 impacted. Sorry I’m not sure exactly what that means, I would infer that my speed would have to be below this before it would be looked?  

934E421B-322E-45CE-B938-8E85FC7A7AA2.jpeg

Hi

The Downstream Handback Threshold is...

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/bt-wholesale-broadband-checker-adds-downstream-handbac...

Report a fault / problem with the speed.

If it cannot be fixed to support speeds above the threshold over a 30 day period,

you get a refund/reduction/option to leave FOC.

Caveats apply of course.

I'm reviving this tread because I'm still trying to understand what is happening to my broadband and Vodafone support is like a chocolate fireguard.

After a lot of phone calls and web chats I managed to convince them to send out an open reach engineer. He came and confirmed I was getting a lot of CRC errors on the line. He said it was a problem with the connector on the pole outside my property. He reseated it and reset the DLM and said it was fixed and drove off.

The sync speed increased because of the DLM reset but I was getting millions of CRC error and gradually within a few days I was back to where I was before. Rung tech 2 team back and he was shocked about the amount of error I was getting and said he would get openreach to come back in the next 48hrs. They never did and Vodafone has closed the case so I can't ring the tech 2 team again so I'm back to the begin again!! Trying to convince people it is not the wifi that is the problem or the extensions I don't have.

I'm still in a situation where I'm getting millions of FEC error and a significant number of CRC error (these have been reduced since the interleave and delay have been applied to the line but with the knock on effect of reducing speed) Could it be the router/modem as the upstream stats look ok?

Stats at the moment, the connection dropped a few hours ago

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate39065 kbps12743 kbps
Maximum Rate50588 kbps11877 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.8 dB5.3 dB
AttenuationDS1 15.3 dB, DS2 37.3 dB, DS3 57.9 dBUS0 1.7 dB, US1 29.2 dB, US2 45.3 dB
Power6.9 dBm6.9 dBm
CRC Errors in last 295 minute(s)514346
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)1016
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.02120.5968
D (interleaver depth)28031
Delay14 ms0 ms
  Downstream Upstream
Super Frames74392121798755
Super Frame Errors50920
RS Words3332582108118698364
RS Correctable Errors575444726
RS Uncorrectable Errors290340

Where do I go from here? I'm stuck with Vodafone until June 2022 with no obvious mechanism to get this resolved. I have raised a complained when yet another manager said everything was fine but I have yet to hear anything from this. Any advise on next steps or does anyone from Vodafone read this forum? I'm thinking about buying an old HG612 modem and a router to investigate if it is the Vodafone hardware that is the problem.

Jayach

Have you raised an official complaint via Vodafone complaints.

You will need another Openreach engineer, they always seem to only do the obvious things on the first visit, they will probably look deeper on subsequent visits.

As you have found Vodafone support is dire, you will need to keep badgering them until they do something, but an official complaint should do something, even if it's only that you get to deadlock and can go somewhere else.

gipjon

I use to have this same issue at my old address and i did find that the old vodafone square router was a piece of jjunk. a better router did help but in the long run .openreach change me to a different pair of copper cables in the multi core cable which sorted every thing out and also got 10 meg more . Had loads of joints and bits of alloy cable in the run ti the cabinet. Alsi had crosstalk because of this. What i did do was email the director of openreach and put a complaint in there about openreach engineer coming out and saying they fixed the fault when all they did was a Dlm reset . Emailing openreach ceo worked really well   . Google the email address of the ceo of openreach and send a complaint there .