Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Port forwarding

kannaiah
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm trying to port-forward for statically assigned device.

The device has both wifi and ethernet connection and I would like forward same port number when device is connected through either wifi or ethernet.

I was able to configure port forwarding when device is connected through wifi but I could not add another rule for same port with different ip address.

Is there a way to configure port forwarding for both ips, given only one ip address will be active at any time?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Well, I just tried it (on my THG3000, is that the router you are using) and it says "Corrections needed. Duplicate Ports Found" which is not surprising.

So no I don't think you could do it dynamically, you would need to change it by hand, but I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better.

What are you using that would sometimes be accessed via Ethernet and sometimes WiFi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't test this right now, but if you could assign the static local IP (outside of the DHCP range) on the device rather than on the router then you may be able to persuade the router to play ball.  And you may not, it's all going to depend on how the router handles the MAC addresses in the routing protocol - I suspect it may not be reliable!

I assigned static ips for both ethernet and wifi, as far as I understand ethernet has higher priority so it would be great if this could be configured to the connection that is live.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use the connection properties on the device itself and not the router, most devices will allow you to set the same IP address for all individual connections on that device, but in most cases, you would only want one connection live at any one time - hence priority does not come into it!

The problem that may arise would be if the hardware MAC address isn't remapped when the device connection changes (same device, same IP, different connection, different MAC address).

* If this doesn't work, I wouldn't spend large amounts of time trying it fix it, but rather try and think of a way you can relieve the problem instead!

** Sometimes it pays to say what you are trying to do, rather than how you are trying to do it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll post this as a new message rather than update the previous one.

So at least on the Asus RT-AC86U that I use, and the Raspberry Pi that I used as my test subject.  Setting the same IP address on both the WiFi and Wired LAN worked fine - provided either one or the other was in use and not both.

I also had success when spoofing the MAC addresses to be the same, provided one or the other was in use and not both.

Thank you. 

I cannot mess around on the device, I do not have permissions. But for now I'm just using WiFi.