Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 IP pass through to TP-Link Archer VR2800 (AC2800) Modem Router

DUNKM
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am switching to Vodafone on Friday 2 June from Plusnet and would like to continue to use my TP-Link Modem Router mainly due to the inability to fix wifi channels on the supplied Vodafone router and living in an apartment block where there are lots of  surrounding wifi networks. My current channel allocation is perfect for my needs and I want to keep it. I will need to use the Vodafone router for the Voip phone connection but all other traffic to go through the TP-Link connected to the Vodafone router. I came across an apparently helpful video showing what I want to achieve 3rd Party Router with Vodafone Home Broadband 2023 https://youtu.be/Hr1qgwL6p1I  (10min 30sec in Double NAT) but it lost me concerning the IP address changes I need to make on the TP-Link & Vodafone routers. Both the Vodafone & TP-Link modem IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 so I am not sure what I need to change on each ?   

7 REPLIES 7

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

The easy way to do what you need is to set up the existing TP-Link router as an Access Point - that's a menu setting you need to make on the TP-Link router.  You can then run an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the VF router to the WAN port on the TP-Link, and turn off the WiFi on the Vodafone device.  Bonus - you now have 8 ethernet ports too.

If you are on FTTP then you can get hold of your UN/PASS and do away with the VF router (keep it in a cupboard you'll need to use it if you even need support.

Just watched the video, if you are happy with everything but the WiFi, I listed everything you need in the post above.  Using the TP-Link as an AP it really is as simple as changing one setting on both routers and connecting the cable correctly - no need to change a single IP or enter any further details!

It will still be FTTC .  I dont have an "Access Point" operation mode the only mode options are :

Operation Mode

Please select an operation mode:

DSL Modem Router Mode
3G/4G Router Mode
Wireless Router Mode
Save

CrimsonLiar

@DUNKM wrote:

It will still be FTTC .  I dont have an "Access Point" operation mode

Well that surprised me!  There is a tutorial on the TP-Link site (case 2) that is far simpler than the setup in the video though.

*I only learn by making mistakes - boy do I learn a lot!

OK many thanks I will give that a go on Friday. Very strange that it doesn't have an Access Point mode as it's only a couple of years old.

Cynric

@DUNKM  I would have said "wireless router mode".

I used to do the same thing with the VF router connected to a Netgear one.

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

If you are on FTTP then you can get hold of your UN/PASS and do away with the VF router (keep it in a cupboard you'll need to use it if you even need support.

Except the OP stated they want to keep the Vodafone router for ease of access to the telephone connection.

But yes, just use the TP-Link as an access point.