Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 router connection problems

funningsrus
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been with vodafone for just over 6 months. The first 5 were great but about 4 weeks ago my partners android phone and my Now TV stick began to have connection problems. My partners phone will only connect reliably if it is less then 3m from the router. The NowTV box will only connect if I reset the router first. My iphone, laptop and wireless printer all work fine on the 5ghz frequency. My partners phone and the Now TV box connect via the 2,4ghz frequency according to the routers webpage. My neighbour has a vodafone router which my Now TV stick can see. Is this problem something to do with interference from my neighbours router? I have spent more than 10hrs on the live chat splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, manually inputting the dns address, setting up a guest channel etc etc. Nothing has worked. I'm beginning to think I need to buy myself out of my contract and go elsewhere for my broadband as I've never had this issue with anyone else!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so a couple of things to try - if any of these work you are going to be so mad with tech support!

Regards the iPhone, download an app called WiFi Analyser.  You can use that to see how strongly it picks up WiFi.  It's unfortunate but WiFi on Phones can go bad, so best to check if it's the phone or the WiFi network - You'll also be able to see if your neighbour's WiFi is stronger than your own.

On the NowTV box, have you tried resetting the box, and then re-pairing it to the network.

Finally, both Apple devices and NowTV boxes (along with Amazon and Google devices too) have some nasty habits regards IPv6, holding onto IPv6 addresses and using their own IPv6 DNS servers.  The simple answer can sometimes be to power them fully off, before powering back up (the old turn it off and no again).  *VFs occasional leaking of IPv6 onto the network is problematic!

*In this case splitting the SSIDs could help, but changing the DNS servers shouldn't (though anything is better than VFs DNS right now).

Good luck, I suspect none of this will work, but I hope that it does!

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to try to help. Unfortunately as you surmised the advice didn’t help I’m afraid. What has sorted the problem out is buying a third party router. Everything is back to normal and working very well now - possibly better than before!