Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using a broadband backup dongle on a non Pro connection

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

I have a normal consumer broadband connection and after a short lived troublefree first month, my following month was a world of pain that I do not wish to relive. 

I note that the Vodafone router comes with the USB slot to take a broadband backup dongle.

I have a data SIM card, and I wanted to get a dongle that I could plug into the router itself to enable continuity of broadband through the same WiFi connections. 

Vodafone tell me that even if I plug a Vodafone K5161z 4G LTE Data Dongle into that slot because I don't have a Pro broadband connection, my router is missing the configuration to automatically switch connections. Firstly is that true or is Vodafone trying to upsell me their Pro connection which I don't need, as I already have a mesh WiFi at home. 

And if true, are there any backup dongles that actually work with the Vodafone routers.

I find it hard to believe that there are two separate firmwares for the router based on the type of connection I take. But maybe its some OTA configuration that the router receives when a Pro connection is taken that enables the switching.

2 REPLIES 2

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It's certainly possible that Vodafone could do this, whether they do or not is another question!

The setups are a little different, but if they have mobile dongles enabled, then they probably have the ability to use a mobile phone as a modem enabled too.  If you try using your mobile as a modem and it works, then there is a chance - that's all, just a chance!

My issue is that I will have to buy the dongle separately and if it doesn't work then that is money wasted. Vodafone tell me that unless I buy the Pro package, my router is missing the configuration to automatically switch to the mobile dongle.