Ask

Solution

VF Router Replacement

mhk7
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello Peeps,

Hope you are all doing well? 

So, I have VF Pro Gigafast 900 FTTP with the ONT connected via Ethernet to the supplied VF Router. 

I want to replace the supplied VF router with my own because I am limited to what I can do with the current Router. 

My question is, do I need a specific type of Router for it to work? Does it have to be a Modem Router? Because I have researched that the ONT box acts like a Modem but I am not 100% sure as there are mixed views online. 

Also any Router suggestions would be really appreciated? My budget for a new Router ideally is no more than £120.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Absolutely any router will (should) work, as long as it can express the PPPoE credentials and possibly the VLAN (usually required on CityFibre but not on Openreach)

You can get the PPoE credentials (username & password) from Vodafone, Live chat is usually the easiest way. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Edit: But you will lose the phone connection. (at the moment)

The router doesn't need a modem, if fact best it doesn't have one, as it will simply not be used as per the Vodafone one.

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. 

I have the PPPoE credentials, so thats all good. I assume the modern day Routers have the capabilities to express the PPPoE creds? Do I need to lookout for this when looking at Router specs? 

Regarding the VLAN, I believe I am on the CityFibre Infra so do I ask VF Support for the VLAN Tag? 

Yes, correct will loose the phone connection but we dont use it anyway so not a problem. 

Thanks again. 

P.S. Would you recommend a Router?

Jayach

I would say yes all routers should be able to express the PPPoE credential as well as the VLAN. On CityFibre the VLAN is 911.

I am using the Vodafone router so I can't give a personal recommendation, but many on here use ASUS or TPLINK and seem very happy with them.

Wicked. 

Thanks for your time and help. 👊

hi all ive been reading all these forums and none of them are actually suggesting someone who has done it for a latest wifi6e router mesh.  Here is my issue, im about to get VF gigafast 900 meg to my property (i have full fiber to the property FFTP), so i  know that the little white box on the wall will be the modem and i know i want to replace the rubbish VF router with a third party mesh router right??.  i also know form the forums that i need to know certain info.  but what i actually want ot know is HAS ANYONE MANAGED TO GET ONE OF THE WELL KNOW RECENT GOOD MESH SYSTEMS TO REPLACE THE VF ROUTER?  PLEASE CAN YOU LIST HERE??? 

for example, anyone at all done this with Orbi rbk850  system (AX6000?) mesh.?  

maybe i should say the orbi securty software requires a subscriptiton so thats not for me...

so i need the following

latest router mesh system wifi 6, and i dont want o connect it off the back of the VF router if possible?

i want no subscrtion for safety etc (i think some manufacturers do that? like linksys?)

i want at least 2 satellites, one of which will be in the home office outside in the garden only 15 m away

i dont care if its overspecced, so assume my house its large! and i dont mind paying for it

must cope wth 50 devices minimum , but more is ok

Have a decent app 

Somehow it must allow me to run the sky wifi for the main qhd box and 2 minis on a seperte network i presume? 

i would be greatful for any bright spark who has a solution and who has managed to do this!  lets share it as i know i am not alone!..

jawwad

Hi all,

Is anyone using the TP link Archer AX6000 v1.0 with the Pro Gigafast 900?

thanks