Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband not allowing windows updates and steam updates

noelthomas292
4: Newbie

Hello,

I am experiencing persistent issues with my Vodafone broadband connection, specifically when attempting to update my Windows operating system and Steam applications. The following message appears when I try to update Windows: "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."

Windows Update Error.png

Additionally, the Microsoft Store fails to load, and Steam apps, including games like Overwatch 2, do not update properly and frequently crash. The only temporary workaround I have found is to completely reset my router or connect to the internet via my phone's 4G hotspot, then revert to my WiFi. This indicates that the issue is not with my laptop, as it works fine on 4G but not on the WiFi network.

Windows Store not loading 2.pngWindows Store not loading 3.pngWindows Store not loading.png

My laptop is connected through a LAN cable to the booster, and I have already tested all possible solutions with Vodafone support, including changing DNS settings and performing network resets. Despite these efforts, the problem remains unresolved.

Any assistance or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to provide any additional information necessary to diagnose and fix this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Noel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

noelthomas292

Okay I've had a look and it seems like turning off the VF firewall has fixed everything, is it fine if I leave it like this or this any option to add apps to bypass it.

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

Yeah, I have run the troubleshooter it says the error says it's fixed it but hasn't. I have a suspicious feeling it has to do with the VF firewall preventing this, as some websites I can't access on my phone on the wifi. It could be the Windows firewall but if this is the case how would I go about fixing it?

noelthomas292

Okay I've had a look and it seems like turning off the VF firewall has fixed everything, is it fine if I leave it like this or this any option to add apps to bypass it.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@noelthomas292 Elsewhere on the Forum others are also complaining about the firewall, I think you have already spotted one of the threads.

Why VF's firewall should do this I've no idea. We need someone with a different router to speak up.

The thread you posted to has nothing to do with vodafone's firewall. Don't assume everyone uses vf's router. 

Cynric

@noelthomas292 Just a thought, in your first post you wrote "network reset", did you try a router factory reset or was that what you meant?

Also, is IPv6 on? If so try turning it off.

I did a network reset on my Windows laptop, which didn't help either. I didn't want to do a router factory reset cause I already did it before and yes it solved the problem temporarily but so did just turning the router on and off. IPv6 is on my router but my phones do use it that's why I haven't turned it off. I don't know what effect it has if I turn it off on my laptop tho. At the moment everything is working fine after I turned off the VF firewall, they should fix it or add options to exclude certain services and sites.

Cynric

@noelthomas292 Not very long ago VF had made a bit of a mess with IPv6 and the simplest way to fix things was to only use IPv4.

It's quite possible it's IPv6 not resolving the Microsoft servers, or even the IPv6 route is broken somehow. We do know, when it's active, vodafone's network setup favours IPv6 over IPv4. Would be worth disabling IPv6 just for a test - it's not going to break anything. 

How would I go about disabling it? Is it through VF admin page or on network on windows and just unchecking it

Cynric

@noelthomas292 Do it on the router admin page(s). It probably easier using a browser on a PC.