Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband not allowing windows updates and steam updates

noelthomas292
4: Newbie

Hello,

I am experiencing persistent issues with my Vodafone broadband connection, specifically when attempting to update my Windows operating system and Steam applications. The following message appears when I try to update Windows: "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."

Windows Update Error.png

Additionally, the Microsoft Store fails to load, and Steam apps, including games like Overwatch 2, do not update properly and frequently crash. The only temporary workaround I have found is to completely reset my router or connect to the internet via my phone's 4G hotspot, then revert to my WiFi. This indicates that the issue is not with my laptop, as it works fine on 4G but not on the WiFi network.

Windows Store not loading 2.pngWindows Store not loading 3.pngWindows Store not loading.png

My laptop is connected through a LAN cable to the booster, and I have already tested all possible solutions with Vodafone support, including changing DNS settings and performing network resets. Despite these efforts, the problem remains unresolved.

Any assistance or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to provide any additional information necessary to diagnose and fix this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Noel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

noelthomas292
4: Newbie

Okay I've had a look and it seems like turning off the VF firewall has fixed everything, is it fine if I leave it like this or this any option to add apps to bypass it.

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

What does the IPv6 do over the 4 is it just faster or does my laptop never use it, if so is it just a feature that's wasting the network?

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@noelthomas292 The world has effectively run out of addresses in the IPv4 range. With the ever growing demand for connected devices IPv6 was released. IPv6 uniquely identifies any connected devices and avoids the trail of IPv4 address switching to make an end-to-end connection. It is not going to be faster (unless someone performs traffic shaping/priority rules). You laptop may not use it because it hasn't been turned on, just look at the network settings on the laptop. 

I just did that now I have lost all access to my Internet and can't get back to the admin page. Probably have to wait until the morning to now fix this new problem but no devices can now connect I'm a try and restart my router to see if that will fix it but yeah disabling IPv6 just made it a whole lot worse

Cynric

@noelthomas292  That's unusual, unless none of them had IPv4 switched on.

Ripshod

Or IPv6 has not been fully disabled. There's seperate settings for LAN and WAN - that said NAT should still be able to cope with that situation. 

Yeah I don't know why but disabling IPv6 just cause their to be no Internet for any of my devices. On my laptop is said it was connected with no Internet on the wifi. I had to just do a hard reset to fix the problem 

In that case, dare I suggest IPv4 is down on your connection. It's possible, indeed stranger things have happened .

Is this bad and how would I go about checking it?