Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband not allowing windows updates and steam updates

noelthomas292
4: Newbie

Hello,

I am experiencing persistent issues with my Vodafone broadband connection, specifically when attempting to update my Windows operating system and Steam applications. The following message appears when I try to update Windows: "We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."

Windows Update Error.png

Additionally, the Microsoft Store fails to load, and Steam apps, including games like Overwatch 2, do not update properly and frequently crash. The only temporary workaround I have found is to completely reset my router or connect to the internet via my phone's 4G hotspot, then revert to my WiFi. This indicates that the issue is not with my laptop, as it works fine on 4G but not on the WiFi network.

Windows Store not loading 2.pngWindows Store not loading 3.pngWindows Store not loading.png

My laptop is connected through a LAN cable to the booster, and I have already tested all possible solutions with Vodafone support, including changing DNS settings and performing network resets. Despite these efforts, the problem remains unresolved.

Any assistance or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to provide any additional information necessary to diagnose and fix this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards, Noel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

noelthomas292
4: Newbie

Okay I've had a look and it seems like turning off the VF firewall has fixed everything, is it fine if I leave it like this or this any option to add apps to bypass it.

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Vodafone are currently experiencing problems with various services in various areas. Whether this is related to your issue I can't say for sure, but it's possible. 

This has been happening to me for about a month and a half now. The thing I found weird is when I traceroute this happens almost every time but I don't know what it means:Screenshot 2024-07-23 000300.png

Cynric

@noelthomas292 We're waiting for the pictures to be approved and not ignoring you 😁

Cynric

@noelthomas292 Request timed out is perfectly normal. It because the computer is configured to not respond to certain requests such as "ping". It does not suggest that there is a fault in your equipment or that of the ISP.

Cynric

@noelthomas292 WRT the Windows update, it could just be part of the issue that started last Friday with the security update that hit a lot of systems.

The problem is mine has been happening before the big windows problem this started like early June, I would like to add it did happen after a windows update however I just dont understand why on my 4G connection everything works normally like the updates roll through and such but as soon as I connect to the Vodafone network everything seems to come back that's why I think its a Vodafone problem

Cynric

@noelthomas292 This URL documents the Microsoft destinations needed for update which should not be blocked by a firewall; https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deplo...

If you'd like to try a traceroute to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and paste the result. Please only mask your router's external IP address so the path can be followed and the VF Gateway identifed.

tr2.pngThis is the results let me know if you need anything else and thank you for the help

Cynric

@noelthomas292 My trace looks almost identical but my update is working. Is there any other Windows computer in the house with which you can test? If you're feeling brave you could stop the PC's firewall and see if the update works.

There is a troubleshooter, see; https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-update-troubleshooter-19bc41ca-ad72-ae67-af3c-89...