Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Brodband...just don't buy it!

Matt_Hirst
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I moved to Vodafone broadband in November they'd got a deal on, from day 1 struggled with the connection in the house, constant drop outs, tv streaming was impossible (with my previous supplier there were no issues). 

Getting through to customer services was a waste of time, talking to Tech an even bigger waste of time - one Sunday I was onto Vodafone for over 4 hours (1 hour on hold).

Anyway due to the drop outs I was getting I got talked into upgrading to pro (heavily discounted might I add) told this would fix all my issues - I did say I doubt it, advised upgrade would turn up in a couple of days and I would get a 14 day cooling off period after the service went live / items for the upgrade had arrived.

The dongle and Apple TV arrived this Thursday finally...plugged in the wifi booster - though how this was ever going to help with wired connections I do not know - set the apple tv up as well which made the drop outs worse.  Called tech up today who says its a bandwidth issue and nothing they can do to rectify the issue, told to try connecting my old wifi router up and use the QOS on that to see if it will rectify the issues I am having however they will not offer any support with this router or on how to set it all up oh and by the way the cooling off period ends today so need to do it asap.

After an hour of trying to get the router to work I gave up and cancelled the contract so now face my broadband being cut off in 3 - 5 days and unable to have my phone line or broadband transferred to another supplier for 10 working days.

So much for Vodafone saying the cooling off period will start the day I receive the kit to see if it fixes my broadband issue.  Best advise avoid Vodafone Broadband at all costs.

Matt

20 REPLIES 20

Was running speedtest from my Pc so a wired connection into the back of the router.

Pc is a Alderlake 12700K with 32GB RAM Asus ROG STRIX mb.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If those previous errors were from the Broadband service test, and considering the low upload speed it sounds like there is something wrong. I would think the Broadband service test errors have been logged to your account so try running it again in the morning and give them another call. I normally use 08080 034 515 for broadband support but you could also try the live chat https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/.

I believe the latest PlusNet routers are badged BT HH5 so are locked down.

It would be handy if it could be solved, as once it's working the Vodafone service is O.K, It's just that support is appalling. (I had a terrible start for the first 3 months, but it has been O.K for over a year now.)

Good Luck.

Jayach

I'm not an expert at this, but taking a look at your errors on the upstream.

Downstream Upstream

Total ES811944
Total SES084
Total UAS7430538

Total ES (error seconds) 

Total SES (severely errored seconds) 

Total UAS (unavailable seconds) 

Compare this to mine, which has been up 17 days:

Downstream Upstream
Total ES04057
Total SES020
Total UAS5050

And it definitely looks like something is not right. Have you tried with the router in the test socket? (although if you just swapped one router for the other there should be no problem there)

I'll have a look at what errors there are but I'm not wasting another four hrs of my life on hold and trying to get through to Vodafone support.

As said previously luckily I'm in the cooling off period, just, so can cancel my account unfortunately it looks like it'll be a messy transfer as the account just gets cancelled and its not like a normal transfer from one service to another.

Downstream Upstream

Total ES1591944
Total SES084
Total UAS7430538

This is the table as at 08:30 no change.

Jayach

I know what you mean about Vodafone "support". As you have the option to leave, then yes probably best to take it.

Well got my router connected and everything going through that and its like chalk and cheese the difference its made so far...Still getting an intermittent slowdown, but nowhere near as bad.

Am still downloading items for my comp, my daughter is using appletv and we've been watching a movie on Roku with no issues.  Other noticeable difference is my PC just feels snappier when Internet browsing and can have multiple windows opening at same time.

All I will say is vodafone go back to having routers with QOS or have tech support that can help connect a separate router to your supplied router.

Gone one step further, now got a separate modem and reconfigured this to connect to the dsl line and from there into my router, now speedtest shows 33-34mb/sec and is consistently higher when kids are streaming and using tech.  Removed all the vodafone supplied kit.

Best advice for anyone experiencing problems with vodafone is get a dsl modem and a router, remove any vodafone supplied kit.

Im liking your advice. What dsl modem and router did you get and was it easy to install/network and get working? 

Your time in replying to me is very appreciated 

Hi,

I found an old modem out Huawei Hg612, an old openreach modem and used this guide https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Openreach-HG612-settings/td-p/2689837

Hope that helps.

Matt