Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Router Access Point

Ollymkwdt
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have two Vodafone routers. Router 1 is acting as the main router, Router 2 is setup as a access point. Both connected by a cable.

Router 1:

Handles all DHCP, excludes static IP of Router 2

Router 2:

DHCP disabled

I have internet access when connected to Router 2 with an Ethernet cable. When I connect a WiFi Device to Router 2 there is no internet access.

Any ideas anyone? I’ve tried everything I can think of....

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because you cannot set up a VF router as an access point.  There is more to turning a router into an access point than just turning off DHCP.

The biggest thing is that the second router is still acting as a router and will be directing all internet bound traffic over it's WAN/xDSL port - even though there is nothing connected to it!

I can access the internet from Router 2 when connected by wire, so thought it might have been a WiFi setting somewhere?

OK I'm trying to use an old Vodafone connect Router as a Access Point via the Virgin Hub 3, however ive read conflicting info. Some say it can be done others say it can't. So does anyone really know.
So far I've set the Voda router with an ip address of 192.168.0.200 so it doesn't clash with the virgin hub and turned off DHCP. I've then ran the ethernet cable from the Virgin hub Lan port to a ethernet switch in the room with the dead spot, and then an ethernet cable to the Voda Lan port, however although I can see the Voda router it's saying no Internet connection and you cannot connect to it.
What am I missing and is there a setting I need to change on the Voda GUI page, or is it right that the old Vodafone connect router cannot be used as an Access point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you have a router that has the ability to work as an access point it does a whole lot more than just turn off the DHCP!

If you run a cable from an old VF router's WAN port to a LAN port on another router, then you are "Double NATing", which depending on what you are doing, is going to cause problems.  The one thing you have to do though is have DHCP enabled on BOTH routers - ideally with different subnets.

When you do this though, devices on the one subnet will not be able to see devices on the other unless you are a wizard with port forwarding.

On such a network you'll probably find that game consoles will only work on the primary network.