Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone WiFi Hub DNS Issue

yilkork
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I started to use Vodafone Home Broadband service on mid of Jan-2020. Since the first installation, I couldn't connect to the internet when the DNS set to "Automatically" (It says DSL is connected but no internet connection). When I change it to Manual DNS and set to Google DNS, I can connect.

I opened a ticket for this issue, a Customer Relations agent talked with me but this issue couldn't be solved because they are not technical experts. and he suggest to search in online forums :Smiling:

Could anyone help me to fix this issue?

P.S. : I'm a Telecommunication Engineer, I can talk in technical language if anyone try to explain something to me :Smiling:

Best Regards

41 REPLIES 41

Jayach
16: Advanced member

There's nothing to fix, just don't use Vodafone's poor excuse for a DNS service.

Edit, I've just realised you said you can't access anything. I'm betting you can access Vodafone's own website whilst using their DNS, and if so it's because you haven't set your content controls.

I mean,only Instant Messaging apps can connect but only for text messaging. If you try to make an audio call or video call, unfortunately.

To be honest, I didn't try to connect vodafone website but doesn't matter.

When I switch to automatic dns, I cannot connect to anywhere. When switch to manual dns, everthing is ok.

But I have some connectivity problems to my email server when I connect with manual dns.

There is an interesting thing;

I'm using Vodafone Pay Monthly for mobile. When I connected to my home wifi, I cannot get emails from my email server but when I turn of wifi and connect with mobile data, I can get emails.

I think, Vodafone is using different DNS servers for home broadband and mobile data. I'll try to get mobile DNS server address and set it to home broadband modem.

But exact solution for this problem must be the working dns for broadband.

Jayach

@yilkork wrote:

To be honest, I didn't try to connect vodafone website but doesn't matter.

Just give it a try, it will prove if I am right about it being the content controls. (which I'm sure it is)

Jayach

@yilkork wrote:

There is an interesting thing;

I'm using Vodafone Pay Monthly for mobile. When I connected to my home wifi, I cannot get emails from my email server but when I turn of wifi and connect with mobile data, I can get emails.

Is that even when using Googles DNS? (By the way I think you will find Cloudflare's faster 1.1.1.1]

When I'm using the google dns, I cannot connect to my email server.

I'll try with Cloudflare.

Thanks.

I know this sounds silly how are putting them in. Like for example cloudflare DNS is 1.1.1.1 and Google DNS 8.8.8.8

Hi DJDanny90000,

When I set the google dns, it's restricting to access to my email server. I tried cloudflare dns yesterday and issue was fixed.

But the main problem, Why Vodafone own dns settings doesn't work? Why they don't try to fix their own server problem?

Jayach

@yilkork wrote:

Hi DJDanny90000,

When I set the google dns, it's restricting to access to my email server. I tried cloudflare dns yesterday and issue was fixed.

Well that is strange, why would Google's DNS not resolve your email servers I.P. address when Cloudflare can?

But the main problem, Why Vodafone own dns settings doesn't work? Why they don't try to fix their own server problem?

Despite your reluctance to believe it I still think it's because you haven't set (or turned off completely) your content controls. Why not try the simple test of seeing if you can access Vodafone's webpages with Vodafone DNS set? (At least it will keep me quiet)

You should be able to access your content controls via:

Content controls (vodafone.co.uk)

Hi Jayach,

I checked my content control settings and it seems Turned off.

yilkork_0-1608416636227.png

I don't know why google dns is blocking access to my email server, may be it's related with routes to that ip, I don't know but cloudflare worked for me.

But again, main problem is "Why Vodafone DNS server are not working?"