Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

156 REPLIES 156

Hi!

I have the same problem. Looks like the feature to change the channel for the WiFi networks - both 2.4 and 5GHz - has been removed from the app. Before, I used to be able to change it, and I did use this feature all the time, as my Amazon Fire TV picks up Channel 48 on 5GHz but not any of the channels over 100.

Are there any plans to restore it? Otherwise this will force me to buy a new router, or to move to a provider that offers this feature.

Thank you!

Just as an FYI, I'm running and iPhone and a VOX3.0 router. Both the Vodafone Broadband App and Router received updates over the last few days and WiFi channels can now be selected as they could previously.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

My THG3000 has the latest firmware and there is no function to change the WiFi channel number.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

My THG3000 has the latest firmware and there is no function to change the WiFi channel number.

How do you know this as that info is not published anywhere.

Mine is on 19.2.0203-3261005 and I can't change the channel.

Flying-Chips is on 19.2.0307-3261013 and they can.

What do you have?

Cynric

.@Jayach 19.2.0307-3261013-20200812152603-87d129527e2b6c5db641b036118778179b03c3da

Jayach

That's strange then as Flying-Chips seems to say they can, but maybe they were only referring to the iPhone app.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Wireless-channel-selection-missing-in-expert...

Further down the page others were saying it still doesn't work for them.

My router just says the update fails whenever I try to update.

Cynric

Suddenly today, after complaining to Vodafone yesterday and them sending an engineer over (I don’t know why - waste of their time and money) the app has suddenly started giving me the option to change the channel. I checked my App Store account and my Vodafone broadband app has not been updated in the last 7 days so I can only assume someone in tech support has given me access to change the channel after my complaint. But the option only exists on the broadband app, not via laptop and expert mode. Vodafone just need to give this basic functionality to everyone all of the time!

This appears to be more evidence that Vodafone engineers can change access-permissions and router configuration via some mechanism that bypasses the router authentication consumers use to access the admin interface.

@Strangerinncl wrote:

Suddenly today, after complaining to Vodafone yesterday and them sending an engineer over (I don’t know why - waste of their time and money) the app has suddenly started giving me the option to change the channel. I checked my App Store account and my Vodafone broadband app has not been updated in the last 7 days so I can only assume someone in tech support has given me access to change the channel after my complaint. But the option only exists on the broadband app, not via laptop and expert mode. Vodafone just need to give this basic functionality to everyone all of the time!

It's also annoying that the app (Android version) only connects to the router by Wi-Fi if the router is providing a signal and not another Wi-Fi beacon. So where I have another device providing Wi-Fi (channel selection is the reason, see other threads for discussion about that) the app sulks. Doesn't matter that everything else on my network can see the router the app just says "device not supported". The app has no configuration that lets you give it the router IP address to use.

My Netgear admin app and browser interface do not care at all about the transport layer as long as packets buzz up and down the LAN they are happy.