Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

156 REPLIES 156

Not sure if this will help anyone - but I had the same issue as a lot with losing the ability to change channels with knackered my system. After a bit of research, I found a workaround on my android phone. I downloaded the old broadband apk 4.1.0 (which had channel selection included) and installed that, removing the ability for it to be able to update, and it returned the ability to change channels via my phone. 

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@maughanorama wrote:

anything from Voda ? Or is it head in the sand time ? 

I suspect the answer involves sand.

I have asked more than once for the details of the "Doctor Service" only to watch the tumbleweed roll past. The thought that someone from VF can just open a backdoor to the router (they have not denied this to my knowledge) and do whatever they like is troubling.

I am using a cycle computer that connects to wifi in order to update, however this only works on channels 1-9. My router is on channel 13 and so I now can't connect to this device at all!  It is essential to have the functionality to be able to select wifi channels for exactly issues like this. Given this problem, I need a quick response to restore this functionality otherwise I am going to have to migrate to a new provider.

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @chrishutchin,

Is there any error message at all when you're trying to use Channel 13? Or does it just not let you use the channel? If there is an error message, could you please let us know what it's saying? 

Why cant you just get the firmware FIXED so it allows us to change the channel as the AUTO function does not work 

The issue is that my cycle computer is constrained to channels 1-9 according to their website. Trying to connect to ch13 just doesn't work. I was able to work round this by purchasing a second router which I have to use with this particular piece of kit. It would have been so much easier to assign a channel manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The reply from the Mod asking whether someone had an error message when trying to connect a cycle to wifi using channel 13 perfectly expresses the problem that Vodafone (and to be fair many ISPs)] suffer from; Technical knowledge is not given to first-line support, they are stuck with overly simplistic scripts and shallow troubleshooting decision trees which makes it pretty much impossible to get any sensible technical support unless you badger and pester and persevere to get an issue escalated.

best thing to do is source a "previous" version of the phone app and change you 2.4ghz channel ... set google play to never update. 

waiting for Vodafone to confirm any of the questions we have had on this thread i think is a pointless waste of life. other than the fact i cant change my wifi channel which is a wifi breaker in my street the wired service is ok. i have another wifi router on my network that i can actually control. 

also the statement that if we phone up, someone with the tools can change it for us!  still has not been addressed!!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone! We have an update regarding Wi-Fi Doctor and how you can set it up and control your Wi-Fi Channel yourselves.

To activate Wi-Fi Doctor for your router you will need to complete some steps within your router home page, using a web browser. The information that you require to access the router home page can be found on the back of your router. Using a web browser, type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and use the login details from the white sticker on the back of your router. Once you've accessed the page, you'll need to select Wi-Fi from the top menu and then General Settings. Please ensure that the Slip Wi-Fi bands (SSID) is set to off.

Next, at the top of the screen you'll see a drop down box. From this drop down, select Expert Mode and then Wi-Fi from the main menu. From the Wi-Fi menu, select Wi-Fi settings. On this screen you should see Band Selection, click on the More Options and you should be able to see Select Channel. If this is not set to Auto, select Auto from the down down many and click Update Channel. This will need to be done for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies.

In the Diagnostics and Cures section, if the status shows 'ACS state should be enabled', select the Enable ACS button which should appear in blue. Once these settings are adjusted, your router will work to ensure that the optimal settings are maintained.

I'm sure you'll all be wizzes with the above steps but just in case anyone needs them, you can find instructional videos on our YouTube channel on the following links:

Managing your router: https://youtu.be/lbUUvwnuSGM

Wi-Fi settings: https://youtu.be/OEuEIQOpvuA

Trouble shooting: https://youtu.be/i9TLVrQrQY0

Hope this helps!

No wrong this does not exist anymore.

There is no band setting anywhere on the newer TH Routers. It does not matter if you are logged in expert mode or not. If you wish I will do a youtube video of my screen showing you but I feel you wont watch it as you have just posted some blurb without even going through the process yourself.