Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

156 REPLIES 156

The discussion is clearly being ignored by vodafone. Im going to either change my provider or use my own dsl modem/router. The fact we still have had no confirmation what the forum mods was chatting about when they said call voda and someone can change it for us. Speaks volumes! Id rather mitigate the risk and remove the threat of a backdoor to my network.

The channel change option has been revoked. Worrying that Vodafone are going in and out of MY system and tweaking MY access

I can confirm uninstalling the broadband app and installing from a version 4.1.0 APK file re-enables the options to set the channel numbers for 2.4 and 5Ghz. When setting 5Ghz to channel 48 this then enables Amazon device to connect as 5Ghz. However if you subsequently connect to the router/modem via a browser it resets to auto settings so probably stored in some configuration file or temp file on a hardwired PC or downloaded from vodafone through the Internet as on the fly overrides at a software level. Once connected to the router via a browser and the channel options are not available then the channel numbers change again and the Amazon devices swap back to being locked to 2.4Ghz. Openimg the app (4.1.0) frees them again to 5Ghz where connected using WPS. A Fire8 for example does not have a WPS option and the connection had to be "forgot" and set up again. While auto channel selection may be good there should still be an override option and endurance the most unused channel is selected and also some responsibility to the device manufacturers such as Amazon to not restrict channel numbers range within a standards range unless there is some hardware restriction forcing this which I would have thought meant they do not meet the WiFi standards in the first place and can not claim conformance with a specific WiFi standard??

New customer still in the cooling off period.

After 2 days I've find out these problems:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-Wi-Fi-Hub-bug-in-web-GUI-cannot-cha...

and looking for a solution I've found this thread that confirms the problem.

As usual, a great piece of kit ruined by a rubbish firmware (or to be more precise, "by a rubbish GUI"). The same router with OpenWrt would be great.

In the first week I can see that:

- This router has a modem module that is far inferior to an ECI Modem (maybe because I am on an ECI cabinet)

- This router has some GUI bugs, first of all cannot save setting in wifi-->general tab

- This router has some ridiculous limitations by design, one of which is the subject of this tread (I have some devices that only support the UNII-1  and my router is now on channel 64 (so UNII-2) and I cannot connect with such devices.

- This forum, differently from the other 2 major ISP I've been with, is not attended by "OCEs" that can check the line and do tech stuff directly. Only moderators and other users. Am I right?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@_rik_ wrote:

Am I right?

You're not wrong.

Hi Jayach,

well at least I have a picture of the situation. 😉

I wonder what would happen if all the users here started to advertise about the lack of channel selection in the router on specific websites dedicated to ISP reviews: would Voda "high thinkers" change their mind about this stupid idea of removing the channel selection? 🤔

Suggestion to Vodafone: if this "great idea" comes from stats about people calling for wifi problems, wouldn't be sufficient to partially hide the option so that the typical noob don't even think about it?

(For nerds: I can see there are still some hidden fields with class "hide"... next I'll check if the backend of the router still accepts such commands).

Jayach

I don't see the option available on the Android App. Not sure I dare check the Web version direct to the router else my Amazon devices are likely to swap back to 2.5Ghz

For me it's still missing.

By the way, I've tested the hidden inputs I was talking about. Here my report...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Vodafone-Wi-Fi-Hub-bug-in-web-GUI-cannot-cha...

(The image is still to be moderated so is not visible yet)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not fixed here.

No channel change option here.

Not on the app (ios)  nor,on the router web portal.