Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

154 REPLIES 154

@tash

Seeing as the Vodafone WiFi App has been mentioned a number of times for configuring the router I thought I'd give it a go.  I am a bit miffed at having to use an app to manager a router when the web interface should be sufficient.

Anyway, I am now more miffed that before becasue when the app was "Analysing connectivity..." it stated that "Wi-Fi network found" but "Router model not supported". 

How can this be when the router was shipped to me only a couple of months ago?

Firmware version
19.2.0203-3261005-20191217122049-2861ba0dea80e3c1bd5a2e7c5fb0527a1550a0a2
Bootloader Version
19.02.1146-0000000-20190110090550-897d2844f012557134a272eb8a8a90f85e9a7a8d
Hardware Type & Version
Vox3.0v

The App is now being removed.

PS.  It looks like there is another bug in the web interface - the router thinks it was 12:34 am when I captued the attached information - it is currenty now the afternoon.  The event log is currently showing recent entries as 12:37:41 which is using 24-hour format as can be seen from last night's log entries.  So at least this bug is purely one of display on the web interface status page!

As a quick update, it now appears they’ve removed the channel selection from the Vodafone Broadband app now. I don’t understand why they need to lock this bit down, every other ISP I’ve been with has kept this essential setting available to be changed. Sort it out Vodafone!

Flying-Chips
4: Newbie

Hiya maughanorama,

Bit of a long shot with connecting the app. I had the same issue connecting my two phones to the router too. What I found that worked, and connected two phones, was instead of holding WPS on the router for 2 seconds (like the app says), quick press the WPS button twice and your phone should connect. Give that a shot and let me know how you get on 👍🏼.

ephorate
1: Seeker

I can confirm that there is definitely no option to change channel on the latest routers, received mine a few days ago. I found this out the painful way whereby the first online assistant I contacted to query how to do this managed to lose my internet connection completely for hours, This was eventually restored by a second assistant who confirmed that the router automatically selects what it considers to be the best channel, This is frankly pants where the best channel in one part of a dwelling might be unusable in another.

Thanks for the update ephorate

I was just going to ask if in the meantime the problem was solved.

Useless to say that the Vodafone router is a decent router hardware-wise , but 100% utter rubbish software-wise. 10 pounds to a taiwanese baby would result in a far, far, better software!

It's ridiculous beyond compare that users cannot have control on wifi channel selection, especially on 5GHz where the upper band is incompatible with lots of devices (and in my case the router made such automatic/stupid/unmovable choice).

Since installing the apk file for version 4.1.0 on my Android phone and setting the channel number I still have no issue with an Amazon device as per my post in February 2021. If Vodafone won't fix the latest app/firmware then go with the work around. I don't think you would be able to change the channel per device anyway, only the channel for 2.5 or 5Mhz that covers all devices  nor in different parts of the dwelling unless you have configurable wifi extenders maybe?... You need to pick a channel per frequency that the router transmitter and receives on.

I've alredy fixed the problem in a far better way that solves 100% any problem:

https://is.gd/Ce6fjF

😄SORTED! 😄

If adding another router and using the vodafone one as a modem was not a problem then fair enough. Enjoy your new router.

It maybe the best option, but also something else that Vodafone will not support if you have other problems further down the line.

It might be something I do in the future as the Vodafone modem was struggling to get a 2.5Mhz signal to my Ring doorbell which is only a flight of stairs and UPVC door away!!

So far I added a cheap extender just 2m closer as a temporary measure and it doubled the signal strength at the doorbell so no big issues at the moment . In the interest of future devices and the way the world marches on I would probably look at a router with additional WiFi 6 .

Anonymous
Not applicable

No android devices here, so android isn't an option.

This thread demonstrates that Vodafone support is non existent, like most UK ISPs to be fair.

My fix will be to move to a cheaper ISP as soon as my contract ends.

Fair comment and I have no apple device to test that app.

Perhaps it would just be better if the ISP's gave a reduced cost modem only option so you could buy whatever router you wanted, but I guess that would give them just so, so many connection problems for initial setups and during contract problems so I can see why it is not an option.