Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

so just to let you all know plugged my TP link router back in which initially would not work when i plugged the Voda one back in it also did not work.... the fibre was up but i was getting an error of no IPV4 address..

after being on the chat for while i was told it would be escalated to a 2nd line technician.

i asked for my PPOE details to double check them and discovered they was completely different to what my router was set up for on my old VDSL settings so i guess when you move over you get a new username and password.

After changing all the details it also would not connect then after around 10 minutes or so it all just ] kicked in and started working, i presume my account was locked for using the wrong details.... at present my TP link router is working i have not tried the Voda one again as i don't want to mess with it all now its working!

At present i am getting just over 500mb wired and my Xbox is connecting instantly on boot up so all is good now.

May have to get a switch eventually as i only have 3 spare but i rather use my own router as i was getting connection problems with my intel NUC coming out of sleep it would not connect to my QNAP a similar issue to the xbox so staying well away from the Voda router now as it appears to have a few bugs. 

@richardpreston 

If you are not using the Vodafone router, there is no reason for you to need the switch.

yes i know its due to my router only having 3 spare instead of the 4 on the Voda one.

have moved one of the devices i used to have hard wired to WiFi its performing well so looks like i am all good.

I have been encountering this same issue for the past few days. I unknowingly had this same problem at my old address when I lived with my parents. I thought nothing of it and thought that maybe the cable was the issue and just used the WiFi. I moved recently and and Vodafone had the best deal in the area - same router, and was initially connected with the WiFi for the first couple of weeks with no issues. Finally got around to connecting the (new) Ethernet cables this week and the problems started. Tried a few troubleshooting steps and of course nothing worked (or only did so temporarily/until a restart) and then found this thread. Disappointed with Vodafone that this hasn't been fixed in such a long time. Very annoying that I have to buy a switch now after running a couple of fairly long cables around the rooms 😕

Hey all, 

ive read all the replies with regards to using the switch etc. 

XBOX series S user here. 
mess previously with BT with no issues, and switched to Vodafone due to costs etc. 

ive had some luck, and unsure wether this has been tried: 

So when my BT connection finally switched off last night at 1am, I simply unplugged all my BT stuff and then connected up the Vodaphone one. 
Initially had loads of issues with 95% packet loss and 134ms which seemed super odd. Speed tests on my gaming PC showed consistent speeds and upload. 

upon checking the event logs I noticed that whenever I ran any kind of speed test on the Xbox that the Vodaphone routers event log was throwing up errors aswell as blocking something. All it said was “firewall” 

initially I was skeptical on turning OFF the firewall on the VOD’s router but I did, and reset everything? Including my ONT. 

Initially this didn’t solve the issue, however, I then SWITCHED all the LAN connected Ethernet cables I had plugged in to different ports. I only had 2 plugged in(my Xbox and my desktop PC) on LAN posts 1 and 2, I switched them to 3 and 4 and then reset. 

i ran speed tests and everything SEEMS to be running okay, albeit the 36ms of latency. 
speed is show correctly, upload too and NAT type is open. 

will keep an eye on this, but thought I’d choke in as I’m not Xbox series X but the all digital Xbox series S. 

Just shutdown and restarted my Xbox Series S to try and see if it would run I to issues again. 

Speed has actually crept up and is faster than what I’m paying for. 500mbps and I’m getting 615.24mbps 69.97 upload 

latency of 13ms 

0% packet loss. 

Unsure if I’ve somehow fixed the issue or my issue or it’s a stroke of luck. 
i havn’t changed any other settings apart from split my wifi into 2 seperate bands (I don’t use Wifi by my iPhone does) and turn off the router ms firewall. Everything else is stock. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

You really shouldn't be running with the router's firewall off, unless you are using another one.

Fine if you are just doing it as a test, but not long term.

Considering the routers firewall is blocking connections such as my Xbox I think I’m fine. 
done it in the past and have had no issues. 

I might have to try this too my Xbox connection is awful it’s actually embarrassing.

Cynric

Don't leave the router unsafe with the firewall down, that's asking for trouble.

Here are the required ports for Xbox;

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)