Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

James35760
4: Newbie

Give you a better one I upgraded to get the new Wi-Fi  ZTE router (white one) with Wi-Fi 6 pro broadband 2 and it fixed the wired problem but I have two other series x in the other two bedrooms and they wouldn’t connect sometimes wireless lol. Must be something software side! 
yes your correct but imagine how much people have complained that don’t use the forums and have been told by Vodafone staff it’s Microsoft’s problem. Think they know about it and just can’t fix it if they haven’t implemented it into their new router! 

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@James35760  I believe it has been suggested on the forum that there are problems with multiple Xbox on the same network.

I don't believe that the fault has been categorically assigned to VF. If the root problem is an implementation of a communications protocol it could be either.

Marvellous1989

It's definitely sad. This issue is over a year later and still the same. I've done everything that I can think of like you did and it's just inconsistent every time I power the device off and back on. VODAFONE! Sort it out! it seems to be something wrong with your mac address readings with Xbox by the looks of things.

Please let me know if you found a solution other than using a wireless connection

@Marvellous1989 wrote:

Please let me know if you found a solution other than using a wireless connection

If you read the thread, you will find that using a switch is a "work around".

Something like this will do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS1005G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07VWB347G

Vodafone/Microsoft (depending on whose fault you believe it to be) are unlikely to be fixing it.

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with this "switch". I read it and thought people were referring to binning the xbox and getting a Nintendo switch at first haha.

Does this plug into the router or is it an independent unit that connects to the fibre box?

It’s just a connection for connecting more wired connections to a router. So yes your plugged in to router with wire. It’s a must if you play online

CrimsonLiar

If you read back in the thread (not so easy since the forum format change), you'll find the solution is often as simple as adding a cheap network switch between the router and the XBox.  While this affects VF users, it also affects users with many different ISPs and routers.

CrimsonLiar

No, its something more than that.  Using a network switch seems to prevent the wired ethernet from going into a sleep state that it can't then properly come back out of.  Microsoft has been aware of the issue since very shortly after launch and has pushed various fixes, none of which seem to have completely worked.

Jayach

I think @James35760 reply was to let @JosephA12 know what a switch is, not how it overcomes the Xbox problem.

Urglepop
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi did you have any luck with this.  I have recently moved to Vodafone from virgin which was great. Xbox network connection is fine over WiFi except for usual occasional lag, which is why I wanted to use ethernet.