Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

router crashing which started about 4/6 months ago

gipjon
16: Advanced member

The router is a 2 years old standard Vodafone 3000 model no issues at all for around 18 months and then 

the router started crashing. This seems to happen every 6 weeks or so. I had to reboot it this morning at 5 am due to around half of the devices connected stopping working. , 2 days ago sky box, mini box and a tablet stopped working, and 1 day ago Xbox stopped working and a moto phone stopped working, This morning my laptop is working but can't log into the router but my phone can log into the router 

what I did notice on 1 of the Xbox it says connected but 

ipv4 connection says 

IP address .0.0.0.0

subnet 0.0.0.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

latency 174

download 0

upload 0

packet loss 0%

reboot the router and all works fine for around 6 weeks 

20 REPLIES 20

Ripshod

Thanks for confirming that @Jayach.

This still seems like an OOM error, or as @Cynric eluded to a hardware failure.

Last resort time methinks @gipjon 

Jayach

It is possible to check the memory usage, this is mine currently. 

Jayach_0-1674135523112.png

gipjon

Got a few things to check the next time it starts to crash out 

Like memory and dhcp etc . 

The only thing I don't understand is why I can't log into the router from the laptop even though its still got access to the Internet and yet for the first time the Samsung phone can log into the router  can't get my head around that bit .

Currently memory usage is 67%

Ripshod

@gipjon wrote:

The only thing I don't understand is why I can't log into the router from the laptop even though its still got access to the Internet and yet for the first time the Samsung phone can log into the router  can't get my head around that bit .

If the laptop is wired then it would indicate the internal switch is failing. 

CrimsonLiar

To me, this sounds like a "slow" memory leak.  If it is a memory leak, then simply power cycling the router once every couple of weeks should be enough to cure it!

Jayach

@gipjon wrote:

The only thing I don't understand is why I can't log into the router from the laptop even though its still got access to the Internet

I actually had that earlier when I tried to log in to check the log. It kept rejecting the password using Firefox (my preferred browser), but worked O.K. from Chrome. Tried again this evening and it worked fine using Firefox.

Makes no sense.

As well as checking memory use when the GUI seems slow, check the CPU Usage (assuming you can get to it).

I believe the interface is treated as a low priority so if the router is very busy, that is the first thing to suffer.

gipjon

The sky q and mini box is always the first to stop working and then the lads xbox the following day and then alexa and wife's tablet .this is the fourth time and always the same order 

Ripshod

As it's a slow failure I think we can rule out an out-of-memory failure. Damaged lan cable or port is next on the list, and I suspect it's on the xbox that doesn't get an IP. 

gipjon

Going to have a look throught the logs when I get back home to see if I can see anything 

Cynric

.@gipjon I'm beginning to wonder if the eMMC surface mounted chip is on the blink. I had this with a tablet and it eventually failed because the bad block table filled up. The symptoms were quite random.