Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast Speed Questions

MBoeck
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello All,

We recently had Gigafast 900 installed at our property via CityFibre in Portsmouth. I have two questions:

1.) We are typically getting speeds of around 200-300Mb/s over wifi either from the main router or the booster. When my laptop is connected to the router via ethernet we see around 300Mb/s. What are the steps I should take to increase my Wifi  and wired speeds? I have been using the App but I am not entierly sure if I can check if my neighbours have conflicitng channels or the like?

2.) We have laptops, phones, tablets etc conneced via wifi and all run at around 200-300 mb/s...apart from one device, my Wife's work laptop. the laptop is less than one yar old and she must use it over VPN since she works for a bank. Before we made the switch to Voda she never had any dropouts but now is constantly dropping out and gets between 15-25 Mb/s across wifi and wired. Why could this be?

Thank you for your help.

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

Jayach
16: Advanced member

As long as you are using suitable devices, and at least Cat5e cable you should get the full 900Mbs over a wired connection. (don't worry about the Wi-Fi until wired is working properly)

If you are not getting that you need to contact Vodafone. Although will likely say they only guarantee half the stated speed on FTTP, what a cop out. Jayach_0-1636847018851.png

Thank for your message, I spoke to someone in the boradband pro support team. She was telling me that speeds need up to 7-10 days to get up to quoted speeds. I asked her why this was but I dont htink she really knew. I am not sure if she was BSing me but I will wait a few more days. I wonder if anyone else has experience of speeds building after install?

Ripshod

She was BSing you. The 7-10 days is for vdsl to settle in. With fibre you should get the full speed immediately.

There is a lot of confusion in vf CS about how their products are delivered, many have yet to realise the correct information is right there in your account. Only takes basic knowledge/experience to get this right. 

Jayach

I wouldn't say it was BS. The "support" staff in Vodafone are just totally clueless.