Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High Ping query: CityFibre Pro II 900mb

aidej
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I am a new customer who has just migrated in from Virgin Media's Gig1 product which had terrible ping results amongst other issues and hence why I left as soon as City Fibre connected my street here in Glasgow. One advantage of the move to FTTP was, I believed, a low ping which would help with my gaming more than anything else.

Imagine my surprise when I have discovered that for the past 3 weeks since I was connected, my ping results have been worse than those of Virgin Media! My Vodafone ping results from Glasgow using most Speedtest sites and apps when connected by ethernet range from 20ms to 35ms, not the 5ms-10ms I had expected from FTTP. Speedtest apps also seem to think I live in London and it looks like my connection is being routed through Vodafone's London operations. Does anyone have any advice, surely Vodafone have more local routing options available?

34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've too have joined the Inappropriate BNG Gang!

I see that my BNG has been moved to 90.246.0. Leeds, having been on my nearest BNG Birmingham for a year. Typical latency was 7ms. It is now 17ms. I might not have noticed except that our twins complained that their games weren't so responsive, so I checked latency. A Tracert confirmed that my BNG had moved.

I am tired of VF now. 17ms is way higher than Virgin Media. I moved from VM to VF because of advertised lower pings!! I have decided to leave VF as soon as my contract ends. I have already discovered some ISPs that use City Fibre's local and national network and offer a symmetrical 1Gb connection. Goodbye VF.

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.128.81] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms GT-AX11000-CBB0 [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 90.246.0.1
3 14 ms 11 ms 11 ms 63.130.172.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 16 ms 10 ms 20 ms 151.101.128.81

Trace complete.

RoryL
2: Seeker

Well this is unwelcome news, I couldn't work out what was going on.

I was with talktalk FTTC capped at 70mb and was getting a ping in my xbox between 11 - 14ms. I changed to vodafone because they were doing a deal on FTTP 900mb which was comparable to what talktalk wanted to renew. I assumed my ping would go down (hoped for single figures) but over the last week since I changed over it has been between 20ms best to about 45ms. Could'nt work out for the life of me why changing from 70mb copper to 900 full fibre would make the ping go up! (over double)

I'm in Essex and I'd noticed the ookla speed test was picking Manchester as my 'optimal server'. This explains it. I was wondering if maybe cityfibre didnt have any hubs south of Bradford or something. But bad luck of the draw on this load balancing then.

I'm still in my 14 days. Wonder if I can tell vodafone to poke it, even after the full fibre install ...

purrbox
4: Newbie

I was actually in Edinburgh on a city break and managed to find a cafe that had vodafone broadband. Yes, I'm that sad that I actually went round cafes asking if they was with vodafone.

Found one, did a speed test. Guess what BNG it was....

.... Watford.

So the only people not on the Edinburgh BNG, are people in Edinburgh.

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

84.65.192.1 is actually the Birmingham gateway, BSHN07-BNG-C1.

tombhd33

so ive being having bad ping for the past three nights 

cant play any games due to high pings 

these are my results anything i can do about it 

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 145 ms 173 ms 197 ms 90.247.192.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 130 ms 136 ms 162 ms 90.255.251.101
5 164 ms 179 ms 196 ms 151.101.64.81