cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

OpenReach limiting connection speed on third party routers?

doomdiver
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So I've been happily using my own router (Asus RT-AX56U) with Vodafone for the past 10-11 months with no problem. I'm on Full fibre 200 with OpenReach, and usually got around 200-220Mb/s. The past couple of days I noticed I've been getting 60-90Mb/s. I swapped it out for the Vodafone router and suddenly I'm getting my full speeds again. Plugged back in to my Asus and back to 90.

I contacted Vodafone and they told me that it's because OpenReach have not approved my router, so OpenReach have put a speed cap on it. I was under the impression that OpenReach did not approve routers any more, and other networks still seem to be advertising that you can use your own router. Has anyone else experienced similar recently? I'm struggling to believe that OpenReach have put a limit on it. Am I wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The "Openreach Aporoved" list was an adsl/vdsl thing years ago so they can't say that. You could set your asus to use the MAC from the vf router to confirm that.

What firmware do you have on the asus? How long has it been since the last reset? Do you run any of the Trend Micro features, or QoS? What gateway are you connecting to (this info can help us work out where the gateway is in relation to yourself)? Can you set up a BQM on thinkbroadband? 

Thanks for your help. I seem to be back up to full speed now. No idea what caused it. I plugged the vodafone router back in and left it plugged in for a while to see if I could set it up in bridge mode as a temporary measure. Couldn't see the option to do that anywhere (unsurprising really) so I switched back to my Asus and I'm back at full speed. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days but fingers crossed it sticks.

Ripshod

🤞

Jayach

@doomdiver wrote:

I contacted Vodafone and they told me that it's because OpenReach have not approved my router, so OpenReach have put a speed cap on it. I was under the impression that OpenReach did not approve routers any more,  Am I wrong?

You are not wrong, as @Ripshod says the approved list is about DSL (modem) connections, and is years out of date.

Why the Vodafone representative said that is just crazy.

Quite what is occurring with your Full Fibre connection is odd, the fact the Vodafone router works, says the problem is with your ASUS. A factory reset, and making sure you have the latest firmware, would be a good start.